Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Sore Thumb Joints

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Glen Kans
    Participant

I justed wanted to share this for other persons who may be new to the sax. I went from the bagpipes to the saxophone which has different fingering method altogether than the sax, and I can tell you when I first started the bagpipes I had some aches and pains in my hands/fingers at first after long practices. Well, when I first started the sax I noticed that my thumbs (both of them)ached and I mean really bad in my second thumb joint, the joint down lower closest to the hand. It was not from resting on the thumb rest. I come to learn that it was just me tense and unfamiliar with the horn. I was holding the sax too firmly and pushing the keys down too hard. Perhaps from my bagpipe days, because with a bag pipe you really have to close the hole tight or your get bad sounds. Anyway, I had to tell myself to relax and after some time the pain subsided and now I can play for 1.5-2 hours practicing and hardly have any notice of thumb pain. At first I was very concerned because the pain was really bad and practicing was turning out to be a painful process, but when I learned to relax and not grip the horn so tight and push the keys so hard things turned around. I always stand when I play, again going back to my bagpipe days. So I find having the horn slightly off to my right side helps me feel more comfortable. Oh yeah, I play the Alto. I hope this information helps someone who may have faced similar discomfort when first starting out. After about week two of practicing at least an hour every day, the pain was nearly gone. Glen

john
      Keymaster

Glad to hear you figured it out when you did. Hey Glen, maybe double check your tone pads, after all that heavy pressing one or 2 might have worn down and even damaged.

Johnny

Glen Kans
        Participant

Thanks for the thougt, I think we are alright. I had tech guy do a make over on the horn to be sure all was adjusted right since it was new from Buffet. I thnk I just was so tense in my hands like a nervouse tension no so much cranaking down on the finger keys, hard to explain, but I have heard other have sore thumbs when they just started so wanted to share. Now I am into this thing a couple months that is behind me thank goodness and running smoooooth. Glen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.