Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Sound effects

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bengt Ostling
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      Having some problems to work out how you are getting those cool effects on typically Honky Tonk bar 57 and also on Water melon man bar 43,45 and 47. It is marked tonging. For Honky Tonk nothing is marked but suspecting there is some secret trick I would be happy to hear more about.
      Thanks a lot in advance
      Bengt

john
      Keymaster

Hi Bengt, I cover some of these things in the trill video I did recently in the blog:

Saxophone Trills – Some Common and Some Not So Common

The examples you refer to are not the same thing, you are asking about 2 different things, the first one is trilling several notes one hand while holding down one note with the other hand. The other effect is what I refer to in the video as a “shake” which is very easy to do by holding down the Bb while shaking with the left hand.

Bengt Ostling
        Participant

Shaking one note is easy but several after each other takes a bit more. Thanks

john
          Keymaster

yes of course but the technique is the same…
            so, one of the ones I use a lot is:
            play high Bb (bis key fingering) and trill the G note below it, now add the right hand playing F#, F and E. then go back up: E, F, F#
            all while trilling the G (and holding down the Bb)

Bengt Ostling
            Participant

Valueable information, thanks again. Can not wait to experementing with your advices.
              Above tunes are really some awesome tunes and fun playing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.