Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Spitty noise in mouthpiece

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

I recently got hold of a second hand Jody Jazz Giant mouthpiece at a good price. I really like the how it plays, but I only have to play a short while before I start to get a spitty crackling sound. Sucking the moisture out helps, but needs to be done every couple of bars, so isn’t really practical. I have never had this problem with any other mouthpiece – been playing a Jody Jazz HR for a number of year. Any tips or advice on how to prevent this? Thanks.

john
      Keymaster

anytime I had that issue it’s always been spit on the reed, not the mp.
        that particular mp could be making things worse on your reed but when it happens take the reed off and have a look at it, you’ll see the spit gathered up, wipe it clean and put it back on.

Anonymous

It can also be an embouchure problem, example if you were to have too much bottom lip over your bottom teeth when playing, then what can happen is a pool of spit can build up around your bottom lip, and when you blow into the mouthpiece – you can be blow more spit onto the reed.

Sometimes if you have been eating a sweet or you have bits of food trapped in your mouth, this can also cause your mouth to produce excess saliva which you want to avoid when blowing wind instruments. A good idea is to brush your teeth and rinse out your mouth before playing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.