Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Squeaky high notes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Wright
    Participant

Dear Johnny,
      I’m having trouble with playing the(very) high D and E, they sound very “squeaky”!
      I have tried it on serveral saxes and they all sound “squeaky”.
      Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
      Kind regards,
      John (from Belgium)

john
      Keymaster

Hi John, hard to pinpoint without seeing what you are doing. We can eliminate the horn because you say it happens on other horns as well. The best thing to do is start a few notes below the D, ones that you don’t have a problem with. Play nice long tones on these and keep the same air support and embouchure as you’re approaching the D. If you maintain the proper support, when you hit the D all should be good.

So, your exercise will look like this:
        Play and hold B – play it loud, strong and long. Next same on C. Same on C#, then D, D#, E, F.

Also check to see if it makes any difference if you tongue the notes to start, or if it’s better not using your tongue at all.

Let me know how it goes.
        thanks and good luck

John Wright
        Participant

Hi Johnny, after some practice, the notes sound clear now, thanks for your help!!!

john
          Keymaster

Glad to hear it John! Remember, those are very high notes and need extra support, which means more of an effort from us.
            John, I think I’ll start to gather a few positive comments and remarks from our students and members here and this is a good example of that so would you mind if I possibly used this with your quotes somewhere on the website?

John Wright
            Participant

No problem! and thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.