Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Stab at Yakety Sax on Alto

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

As I practice, I usually always record some part of my session. This quick “share” upload was a practice take trying to learn Yakety Sax. I’m trying to use my Jody Jazz MP, which I’m prone to having the “squeeks”, but I’m seeing them start to diminish as I get more used to it. Decided to try using Sound Cloud, as I noticed others have. So no video to have to sync with, or views of me with my rather bulky headphones and woodshed room that needs some “sprucing up” and some acoustic tiles to improve the sounds reverberating in the room. This track had no effects added. The reverb from the room does muddy the sound a bit, but curious what others think. I did try using 2 mics this time. So not my final take at this challenging song, just thought I’d share the work in progress. Hope to get some pointers and feed back…

Anonymous

i don’t know why – but yakety sax always makes me smile.

Sounds great! the sound feels very natural and has a good kick.
        I’m might be biased but i think 2 mic’s sound better than 1 mic, to
        me has a more 3d effect.

Be interested to hear where you placed your 2 mic’s in relation to your sax, as i’m still experimenting with mic positioning. In my case the 2 mic’s i have are different, and i was wondering if i should stick to 2 identical mic’s?

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Great job Kevin 🙂 Very cool. You opened my eyes by doing it on Alto, I’ve learned this song and have played it for a couple of members when we met over Skype, but it was always on Tenor Sax and I will be uploading it here also. Just goes to show how cool the Alto Sax is and you did a great job with this song. Like we talked about in our e-mails to each other, those little squeaks from the Jody Jazz will continue to go away the more you use it/get used it it; it’s only going to get better and better for you 🙂 Very cool Kevin. The only thing I would recommend–and I know with this song it’s easier said than done–is to really focus on Articulating and tonguing some of the notes very distinctly. It sounds great what you’re doing for sure, but try to tongue them just A LITTLE bit more distinctly. I know with Pick Up the Pieces the “challenge” is to do the same thing, to articulate/tongue the notes distinctly. Again, easier said than done. You did a GREAT job Kevin 🙂
          I’ve also noticed a HUGE difference in the recording of your Sax–better believe using 2 mics and mixing them with an Interface makes a big difference and many pro player do just that. It’s funny you do this at this moment in time, because that’s exactly what I’ll be doing myself LOL I’ll be using 2 mics, one is the Shure SM-57 (arrives this week), which will be placed in front of me. The other is the Apex 205 Ribbon Mic (arrived in the mail yesterday) and it will be placed on my right-hand side. Ribbon Mics are great for when playing ballads, Mellow tones, etc.. and are great mics to use when mixing 2 mics together. My Instructor does the same thing, as do many Sax players. Especially because of playing Altissimo, using 2 mics v.s. just one mic can create a much better recording. Have a look at the video below that I was shown myself. Hats off to you Kevin, and thanks for uploading this…I miss seeing your uploads! You’re playing is always very encouraging. 🙂

Kevin
          Participant

Thanks James, my mic placements were- Mic1(Behringer C-1 condenser mic) approx 22in in front and about as high as left hand on the keys. Mic2 (old Radio Shack dynamic mic) approx 22in to the right of me about bell high. I didn’t have a mic stand for it, so it was sitting on it’s side on my music stand ledge (so not really positioned and/or pointed well, but it did sound a bit better with it there).
            Michael, thanks as always for your encouraging comments. I agree with you regarding articulation of the notes. I also think my articulation is lacking. I think I need to get moved up to a little firmer reed, when I do try to articulate more assertively particularly when providing more air for a louder passage, the reed can shut off on me unexpectedly missing a note. Gotta get those on order. That recording video was very helpful.

Anonymous

Thanks Kevin – for the feed back on the mic positioning, that has been very useful.

William Cingolani
              Participant

Great playing Kevin

paddy jordan
                Participant

Nice one Kevin you did well with that,i keep coming back to this one again and again, its a great study and fun work out,that said my yakety is not quite up to the standard of your yakety here,but its coming along.On a side note to that you mentioned your squeaky mouthpiece well i was getting nowhere with mine so i had it professionally refaced and wow what a difference no more sqeaks super fast response just so much more playable,and the really interesting thing was was able to access the altissimo much easier i was able to hit notes a will where before it was hit and miss and a struggle,i not saying i can dance around up there yet but its much easier to navigate around.

john
                  Keymaster

I liked the sound of your room Kevin, it has a nice natural reverb that I thought was added digitally.
                    Yakety Sax is a good one to try and perfect on several levels; speed, articulation and even tone effects such as growling…you’re well on your way with this one, keep it up!

Anonymous

Hi Kevin, that tune is nicely played and a good recording too.

Mark Kiziuk
                      Participant

Yakety sax is one my favorites! It must be hard to do because it is done fast and to me it seems like a long song. It sounded pretty fair but the notes seemed a bit rushed together. You will get it in time but I think your notes need to stand out a little bit better instead of rushing into them too quickly. Just my opinion, hope this helps?
                        Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.