Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Still another one from Oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alan Sizer
    Participant

G'day all,

I stumbled on this site in January and was very impressed. It's also good to be with a fledgling site from the beginning 'cause you feel like you can grow with it. Older sites can be too overloaded with info for the noob.

Anyway, I had a moderate musical background – learned piano as a youth, but couldn't stick with it. Tried a few other instruments over the years, but same deal. I'd hate to think ho I would have gone with sax if I tried to pick it up back then. Some of us have to wait till middle age for the maturity and stickability.

I've only been playing about 4 years, after picking up a second hand YTS23 (photo in the Show your sax thread), hoping No2 son would runwith it. He didn't, so I did! After three+ years teaching myself from books I decided I really needed lessons – had a few last summer. Best thing I did – my technique was all wrong!

Then along came Johnny. My teacher is so good he's very busy during school terms and can only fit me in during holiday times. My work requires me to travel a fair bit, too, so this site is a great resource. There's already plenty for me to work on for now and i'm looking forward to future lessons. Especially how to produce different sound expressions – growly R&R sax, laughing etc and how to play altissimo without a high F# key.

I'm also looking forward to hearing and learning from other peoples' experiences.

Late last year I was invited to be casual sax for a new band playing mainly blues with rock & pop influences as well. Major challenge for me! Unfortunately the band doesn't look like getting off the ground. I've also been asked to play occasionally with the church music team.

Cheers

Al

Marcelo Moreno
      Participant

Hi Alan, I'm from Brazil and I play tenor sax in a band that also playing mainly blues & rock. Sometimes we play in benefit concerts – it's fun. I don't know if you know the brazilian music but if you want, i can provide music sheet with some brazilian music like "bossa nova", "samba", "choro" etc.

welcome.
        Marcelo Moreno

Alan Sizer
        Participant

Hi Marcelo,

Sweet! That's be excellent. Anything new I can try would be great. I'm still very much a novice and have lots to learn.

email me at sizer.alan61@gmail.com

Cheers

Al

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.