Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Stop complaining about reeds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant
      Jeff
      Participant

Give this track a listen

Scary altissimo

sxpoet
        Participant

Number of Possible Scales Using a 13-Note, 12- Interval Chromatic Scale

3 notes 11 scales
          4 notes 55 scales
          5 notes 165 scales
          6 notes 330 scales
          7 notes 462 scales
          8 notes 462 scales
          9 notes 330 scales
          10 notes 165 scales
          11 notes 55 scales
          12 notes 11 scales
          13 notes 1 scale
          total 2,047 scales from

At some stage civilisation, is going to give all 2,047 scales a different name.
          When they do that, you’ll realise some types of jazz is just repeatedly playing fast up and down some of these unnamed scales.

just imagine if i went on stage and played very fast up and down a few of the Major Scales, starting and stopping at different points, and the moving into a different scale – sax career over.

Well that’s my humble opinion and the reason why that doesn’t float my boat sounds more like playing through scales than playing a melody. No different to listening to different drum patterns, after a while i get bored hearing the same pattern and listen to a different pattern until the hypnotic effect wears off.

sxpoet
          Participant

that guy reminds of Tom Jones, always name dropping…when i played with Elvis, when i played with.. OK, interesting if they are your hero’s.

sxpoet
            Participant

am i saying, “if you can’t write a melody, then stick to playing Jazz or playing the Drums”

am i saying “Are different styles of music just defined by a specific drum pattern?”

am i saying “If you want to invent a new style of music, then you have to invent a new drum pattern no ones heard of”

am i saying “just make sure you sound great on the Sax” – that ticks my box

now lets start on wine tasting – this one has a hint of orange, with a hint of mouldy potato coming through…

peoples opinions of what different wines taste like, is similar to their responses to different tunes, unless you all join the herd and stampede together down the same path

that’s what makes the world wonderful – diversity, not university.

Jeff
              Participant

A good solution for beatles

Point taken.

Now, if only playing scales properly was as easy as opening and drinking a nice Pinotage!

sxpoet
                Participant

which do you find easier to learn

playing a new scale from memory?

or

playing a new Melody from memory?

What i find harder is the number of different scales that i can remember how to play from memory. At the moment all i can remember is how to play all 12 Major scales, i would struggle to recall all three types of Minor scales (next on the to do list).

then theres the pentatonic scales, the blues scales …

The best thing i find from practicing scales from a music sheet and ONLY from a music sheet, is when i play a music sheet in any scale, it’s so so so much easier to play the music sheet.

My music teacher tells me the best music sheet players he’s come across are the ones that practice practice practice practice scales.

Leo Salu
                  Participant

Hello James all your comments are perfect, you certainly add interest to the forum, i especially appreciate the peoples opinion line, i.e. my wife and I do not always agree on what we see as a good sounding song, I recently made a video on Baker St. feedback from wife I don’t like Baker St. play something else. LOL She definitely does not join the herd.

sxpoet
                    Participant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.