Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Switch to Bari?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Craig Scott
    Participant

When I started taking sax lessons a few months ago, I wanted to play a baritone. But since I had to rent, and since there were no baritones for rent around here, I got a tenor. I like it a lot, but I keep thinking about a bari. Now I’m saving my nickels and dimes to buy a good horn. Would it be wise for me at this stage of my learning to switch to a bari? I’m big enough to handle it and I’m sure I have enough wind to fill the horn. What obstacles might I run into? Thanks.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Craigs24–Johnny made a video on the section called “Tips” at the bottom of the Saxophone Lessons page that talks some of what you wondering–looks like he gets asked those kinds of questions a lot. In that video he talks about the Bari Sax some and compares the different kinds of Saxophones. Go check it out.

Craig Scott
        Participant

OK. That pretty much answers my question. Thanks.

john
          Keymaster

I don’t own a bari but everytime I have played one it’s always WAY too much fun. I would highly recommend it and everything you have learned on tenor will transfer over. All saxes share the same techniques such as fingerings, breathing etc, they just feel and sound different.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hey Johnny: I do have a question about the Bari Sax–I have played with the idea of, in time, getting one. Just from looking at them they look like lots of fun to play! Why is it that the Baritone is not as popular as the Tenor, Alto, Soprano? I haven’t seen near as many people playing Baritones as we see playing the other Saxophones. Is it because it’s used more like a bass type in instrument, say in a Jazz or Orchestra type of setting? I think it would make a fabulous Saxophone to use even to play entire songs with that you have right here on your site! They have such a terrific sound!

Michael Bishop
              Participant

http://youtu.be/_YSb7NbPX0I
                Talk about having fun on a Bari Sax……..look at this guy go! I love the sound of the Bari Sax; sure looks like it would be fun to play 🙂

john
                Keymaster

Not sure about specific numbers but alto and tenor are the most popular for sure. Bari and soprano are pretty popular too. You can see many people playing them but it depends on what kind of music you listen to. Not too many sopranos in blues and rock because it doesn’t have a gutsy, tough sound that suits the music. Bari is more popular because it’s more versatile as a solo voice and especially in a sax or horn section where it’s usually a must have.
                  This is my favorite horn section with “Doc” Kupka one of the Tower of Power co-leaders playing bari and demonstrating how important it can be in a funky groove like this:

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Yeah!!!!! WOW……amazing. This is the kind of stuff I’m really starting to get interested in and really have an appetite for right now. Thanks for sharing this here, WOW 🙂 That looks like Richard Elliot to his left playing Tenor? That Bari looks like so much fun. From the look of this it doesn’t seem like the Soprano would fit in well. Taking a family vacation soon and when we come back will be getting the Honkers and Screamers collection, as well as your CDs. I can benefit your johnnyferreira.com site if I go through those links there?

Speaking of getting an appetite for this stuff; did you ever see King Curtis play in person or ever meet him? I would have LOVED to gone to a concert of his; looks like I was born too late for that 🙁 I know you have met famous musicians in the past. I was looking online at a song of his called “Memphis Soul Stew” and that’s some good stuff! He seemed like such a nice guy, always smiling. I had no idea that he and Arethra Franklin did some stuff together; those 2 on stage were amazing!

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

I clicked on the youtube logo here and clicked “like” on my channel so that I can have this one on file 🙂

john
                      Keymaster

King Curtis was killed in 1972, so no I never met him. But I played with the Memphis Horns who did work with him on his live at the Fillmore East recordings. He not only played with Aretha but was her musical director for a few years. He had an instrumental hit in the 60’s called Soul Serenade (which he played soprano on) which Aretha later recorded with lyrics.
                        Ya Memphis Soul Stew is a favorite of mine and I have done it with my band live many times.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.