Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Tackling my Buescher C Melody Myself

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Hurst
    Participant

I am looking into repairing, or learning how to repair, my 1920 Buescher stencil C Melody. What are some good pads for c melodys running for? On a level of 1-10, how hard is it to get a dent out, and repad? Thanks.
      -Jon.

Jonathan Hurst
      Participant

Here’s the dent
        h4y4z-image.jpg

Jonathan Hurst
        Participant

Not all of them are that bad, but very dry
          xngr5-image.jpg

Jonathan Hurst
          Participant

Comparison of It against my Tenor
            1seb7-image.jpg

john
            Keymaster

ya you need to get some work done alright. Pads are the most common things to replace/fix. There was a time when I did that because my teacher was good at it and insisted I learn but I didn’t enjoy doing it so I gave up. Just take it to my repair guy whenever I need something done.
              Sounds like you want to get into doing it and so you should learn. The dents will require more specialized tools…. just like doing body work on a car. The thing is, by the time you buy the tools you may need you might be spending more than hiring someone else to do the work. Something to consider.

Jonathan Hurst
              Participant

Ah ok thanks! And I’m just itching to play this rather odd horn as well. I have yet to find a sax neck that will fit it, I really want to stick with this specific horn

john
                Keymaster

send an email to the guys at the shop where I go… Massulo Music in Burnaby BC
                  They have a contact on their site. They;’ve found necks for me before, not a C melody but you can start there.

Jonathan Hurst
                  Participant

Thanks. I’ve heard you can resize neck tenons, to fit a different horn. Would I be able to downsize a tenor neck or upsize an alto?

Lewis Pelham
                    Participant

Try the “For sale & wanted” board on Sax-on-the-Web”, or their C Melody section.

Abe Sloan
                      Participant

I also have a Buescher c-melody Elkhart from about 1925. Planning to take it apart and cleaning it. I got it for $130, and another $90 to put it playable condition. It is in great shape, no dents and the pads have been replaced. My concern is how to keep track of where the screws are to be replaced when it comes to putting it back together. If you have a system, please share. Would be great to know how you are progressing. -Abe-

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.