Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Taking a long time to practice before recording

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

It seems to take me a long time to ‘get up to speed’ practicing, before I feel ready to record/video… how about you? (JF or anyone).

For example I still stink at “Pick up the Pieces”, after practicing at least 15-20x these last few months…I’ll stick with it.

It takes a long time to get focused, breaking things down into riffs, til ready for showtime. Maybe at 51 I’m getting old, lol…when I was in my 20s I’d tear into practice for an hour tops per song in the set and be ready to gig. Which I miss a lot. The women, the crowds, it was fun. In the basement practicing, not so much…

Anyone else, how many times do you practice to get up to speed? I’m doing Peter Gunn, Pick up the Pieces, and Take Five. ..taking forever.

john
      Keymaster

well you are talking about a couple of tunes that can be quite challenging! especially take 5.
        I used to make a playlist of several tunes I was going to perform and just play them one after the other. make mental notes of the places you screwed up on and then take some time to iron out those bits. then go back and play the tunes all over again. this can be helpful other than just practicing a tune over and over.

Jazz Cat
        Participant

thanks for the tip, makes sense…also good for variety

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.