Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Tenor comparison

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dazza
    Participant

Hey guys. Getting rid of my rental Jupiter as it is just not nice to play. Sticky keys and horrible tone so looking at buying at the moment. Looking at a Yamaha 275 or 23 and wondering if anyone has played either. Both are around AU $1000 (US$1200) and the 23 is 15 plus years but in great condition vs the 275 much newer. Need to travel a long way t test play so that is out of the question so taking a bit of a gamble. Steve Howard (www.shwoodwind.co.uk) raves about his 23 and only upgrade to a RAW after 20 years of playing the 23. Must have been a nice horn. Is the lack of front F# a disadvantage for the 23 or is it just as easy to learn it old school? Anyway, appreciate your insight if you have one.

James
      Participant

$1200 US for a YTS-23 is on the high side up here in Canada. I’ve had one on Kijiji for a couple of months for $850 CAN ($600 US) and can’t sell it. It’s in Very Good condition. It has minor scratches and a couple of small dings from normal wear and tear but is in excellent condition otherwise. I had a few pads replaced in September at the biggest Yamaha dealer in western Canada. It was checked over and everything was tweaked and adjusted at that time. By the way, our CAN dollar was pretty much on par with the US dollar until recently. If I were near an urban centre, I’d have no trouble selling it but I’m out in the bush.

In western Canada, there are always a few 23s for sale on Kijiji. They are a very popular student horn. The prices are generally from $700 to $1200 with a case. I’ve been playing jazz standards for a few years but still consider myself somewhat of a beginner. Having said that, the lack of a front F# has never bothered me. I’ve read the Steve Howard review. He has a good reputation and he’s a sax tech. I have his sax maintenance book.

I upgraded my 23 with the M1 Custom neck. It made the horn more freeblowing. I’m a Yamaha guy and have a couple of 61s and an 875 Custom. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be selling the 23.

If the 23 you are considering is in really good condition, I would have no hesitation buying it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.