Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions The split G# on Just the way you are

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bengt Ostling
    Participant

Hi Johnny!
      Thanks for a great site and all inspiration.
      Having some problems achieving the great sound you are getting on that split G# in the solo part of just the way you are, dont remember it was covered in the course eather. How do you achiev it.
      Thanks in advance
      Bengt

john
      Keymaster

To play that altissimo G# I use the 3nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers on the left hand with the 3rd finger only on the right hand

Bengt Ostling
        Participant

Hi again Johnny!
          Have to admit that my altissimo playing is not 100% stabil and after D just luck. Lol
          However, think I’ve tryed out all possible finguring for the ones I know up to D but
          from there on to actually control a “split”, feels far away.
          Is that something you achieve with the tongue or is there any other good tip you would
          like to advice? In my world a altissimo tone with a split could really make that extra
          effect in a solo.
          Perhaps an option course to the previus altissimo course or perhaps a few privat lessons?

Regards/Bengt

john
          Keymaster

So when you say split do you mean that breaking up tone on the note

Bengt Ostling
            Participant

Yes, dont know the correct term in English. And the first G# in the altissimo part if somebody else reading this.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Hi Bengt,
                That’s really cool you’re learning this song on Tenor Saxophone, I have learned it too but chose play it on the Alto Sax. I like to play things on both the Alto and Tenor. If I was forced to choose to play either Alto or Tenor only, I’m not sure I could do that LOL Both of them are great fun to play. I find that my Trevor James Tenor responds better to Johnny’s fingering positions No.2, but my Selmer Bundy responds better to positions No.1. Would love to hear a recording from you here on Johnny’s blog.

Bengt Ostling
                Participant

Hi Michael!
                  Working on a lot of Johnnys songs but still a few things missing in them all, such as expressions, timing and in general too much tension. Practising minimum an hour a day as an average so hopefully something should be posted soon. It’s hard to feel satisfied as well particularly after watching Johnny performing them. Lol

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Very nice to hear Bengt, Johnny has so much stuff to keep us busy–so much to learn and so little time in the day LOL We all know how that goes. That’s great you get regular practice in too, very important so hats off to you there for sure. It’s fantastic that we all watch Johnny, paying close attention to all of those things that he does like you mentioned and that’s how we learn. Because Johnny has been playing the Sax for around 40 years (I’m 42 years old..he’s been playing as long as I’ve been alive–very sobering thought to say the least) in reality we do our best, learn from what we do right/wrong, apply those pointers, and keep progressing. HOPEFULLY…MAYBE…someday we can get to that level of playing that Johnny is at…maybe LOL Because that’s what we all want….there’s so many times it feels like I’ll never get to that level of playing; is it even realistic to think that I will?!? I think it’s really important that we all decide how it is we want to play the Saxophone (we have to find our own “voice” on the Saxophone) and then practice the techniques that will allow us to play that way. For me, there’s no question that I always have been drawn to high-screaming Blues on the Saxophone, right from the very first day I started learning to play from Johnny. Sure, learning songs are absolutely great and everyone loves to hear popular songs on the Saxophone, but I couldn’t help but notice how “expressive” the Blues/Improvising in general is. That ability to being able to create my own stuff, Improvise, is what really appealed to me. I decided on how I wanted to play a Saxophone and then after getting the fundamentals of the Sax under my belt I had to start learning the things that will allow me to sound/play the Blues. And guess what? I’m not there yet LOL In reality the learning will never stop…it would be a big mistake for anyone of us to think that there’s nothing more we could possibly learn on the Saxophone; talk about feeling ourselves! There’s always something new to learn and that’s the beauty of music 🙂 Look forward to seeing some uploads from you Bengt 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.