Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation timing beats arriving at the 5 chord (lesson 4)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Johnny
      I don’t seem to arrive at the 5 chord at the same time that you do. I’m counting 4 beats to the measure. I get there way early or way late. I start counting at bar 17.
      William

john
      Keymaster

yes, bar 17 is the start of the 12 bar progression so the 5 chord is in on the 9th bar from bar 17 (bar 25).

William Cingolani
        Participant

Johnny
          What is the number on the metronome for lesson 4.Starting on bar 17 I count four beats to the measure and arrive at the C chord way ahead of you. When does the count begin?
          William

john
          Keymaster

the count begins on bar 17. if you look at bar 16 you will see a double bar line, if you look at bar 28 you will see a double bar line. between these double bar lines is the 12 bar progression. Bar 9 of this progression is where the 5 chord happens. does this make sense now?

William Cingolani
            Participant

I see the double bars, beginning and end and I well marked them. Beginning at bar 17 I try to stay with you by counting 4 beats to the measure but I always arrive at the 9th bar way ahead of you. I just don’t have the right cadence

john
              Keymaster

try focusing on the bass riff which jumps in 5ths and is 2 bars long then comes down a tone but is the same riff again for 2 bars.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.