Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips timing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

2020 – i’ve been working through one major scale a month.
      2021 – metronome work.

i’ve just realised i should have been using a metronome every time i practice scales, i should have done that from day one.
      Starting at 80 bpm and going up to 160 bpm in steps of 4bpm.

Started work using a metronome clicking on beats 2 & 4 for swing time music, makes a difference to swinging when compared to using clicks 1 2 3 4. Also started work using the metronome just clicking on the 1 beat, apparently good for metronome speeds of 200 bpm.

Anonymous

I didn’t realise with metronome speeds, when it says play at 160 bpm, to check if it’s quarter notes at 160 bpm or half notes at 80 bpm or full notes at 40 bpm, as they are all the same clicking speed. lol (still learning)

john
        Keymaster

yes, definately. I used a simple metronome trick (of which I made a video)
          for scales set it on 60. play the scale up and down. stop. set the metronome to 61. play the scale. stop. set it to 62…..etc
          this works great because you can’t even feel the difference in tempo going up one number at a time. But the whole while you are playing this scale over and over and next thing you know you’re at 100. if you were to start at 100 it may not be possible.

RockinRobin
          Participant

I do better tapping my foot. I have to feel the beat. When using a metronome I tend to listen to the metronome instead of my horn however I can’t use a backing track yet. I’ve been working sub tones.
            William

Anonymous

The benefit of using the metronome when practicing scales from memory, is it trains your fingers to find all 7 keys at the same speed for various bpm’s. Helps with improvising.

The benefit of using the metronome when practicing scales from a music sheet, is it trains your fingers to find all 7 keys at the same speed while reading the notes on the music sheet. Hand eye co-ordination, a must for anyone that plays the sax from a music sheet.

RockinRobin
              Participant

OK. I found some metronomes on line. Before I practice a song I’ll use the on line metronome to go up and down the scale in which the song is written

Anonymous

I wish i had done this years ago.

I can guarantee it is hard going, i’ve been playing 7 years now, and i couldn’t believe how difficult it is to play a scale in time with a metronome at various bpm only using the clicks on the 2nd and 4th beat

Just remember it is a new skill, and like all new skills, you need patience.

Start with a 1 2 3 4 clicking playing the scale in 1/4 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

Then Start with a 1 2 3 4 clicking playing the scale in 1/8 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

After that.
                  Start with a 2 4 clicking (just silence the 1 and 4 clicks) playing the scale in 1/4 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

Then Start with a 2 4 clicking playing the scale in 1/8 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

So if you have any swing music sheets, try out the 2 4 clicking and notice how you feel like swinging the sax in time with the music sheet… groovy.

Later on, gets harder now

Start with a 1 clicking (just silence the 2 3 4 clicks) playing the scale in 1/4 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

Then Start with a 1 clicking playing the scale in 1/8 notes from 80bpm going up to 160bpm in steps of 4bpm.

You should notice this helps with faster tempo music sheets, where it gets impossible to listen to 4 clicks.

Just remember only do these exercises for about 10 minutes, it is tiring on the embouchure as well as the mind.

Anonymous

correction – for 2 4 clicking, just silence the 1 & 3 clicks on an electronic metronome.

I use a ‘TE Tuner’ AP on my ipad, i connect my ipad to an amplified loudspeaker so that i can hear the metronome clicking above the sound of my sax.

The ‘TE Tuner’ as well as clicking to the beats, it can speak the numbers 1 2 3 4 in time to the clicking – which you don’t really need.

One thing i found with Tuner Ap’s on the ipad, they aren’t as accurate as an electronic tuner when you check your sax pitches to see if they are in tune.

Anonymous
                      RockinRobin
                      Participant

Thanks James
                        I do have some swing songs. On my music stand is a swing jazzy “Sweet Georgia Brown”. Quarter Note=176. Backing track is 176 BPM. Too fast for me so I can’t use the backing track. I’ll play it with no backing track
                        William

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.