Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions transpose from Piano to the Alto

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I really need to learn music theory, but how do you transpose from the sheet music written in Piano to the Alto Saxophone. I just recently bought your beginning E Book. I know you probably cover this question? Vinny

john
      Keymaster

Vinny, music theory is a whole subject into itself and takes years to study and learn, just like learning an instrument.
        When you study from my How To Play Saxophone” book you are learning some basic theory as you go along.
        Reading music and understanding intervals and scales, chords etc is all part of music theory.
        To your question regarding transposition, I wrote an entire article telling you how it relatyes to the saxophones and concert pitch (piano) here:
        https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/saxophone-keys

Simply put, you’re playing an Eb alto so when you play a C on it, it’s really an Eb on the piano. To fully grasp this look at a keyboard. Then touch the Eb, then count down all the notes to the C. You will count 3. These are semi-tones: D, Db and C. Now you can transpose any piano not to the proper alto note.

Anonymous

wow awesome Thank you Sir. Sorry for the elementary question

Nathan Senevirathne
          Participant

Hi
            This may be a too late reply.
            However I thought I would post the chart I use for that.
            cheers

Nathan Senevirathne
            Participant

I am trying to attach the file here
              I am not sure if it is doing it…will try for the second time
              zuyu7-transposeSax.jpg

john
              Keymaster

Looks good, and a very nice helpful chart for many people I’m sure.
                Also highly recommended, learn the notes on a piano keyboard if you don’t know them already.
                It just makes more sense when counting up or down to figure out these and other important intervals for transposition, chords etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.