Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Transposing sheet music for the Sax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 My wife transposes music and she wanted to know what’s the note range for the Alto Sax–she wants to transpose sheet music for the Alto Sax from other music she has for piano, concert-type music. Thanks!

john
      Keymaster

Like all saxes, the alto’s low note is a B flat and goes up 2 1/2 octaves to F. These notes on piano would be D flat up 2 1/2 octaves to A flat…
        Alto notes are 3 semi tones below concert piano notes. That’s why it’s called the E flat alto, cause when it plays a C, it sounds an E flat concert.
        If you need more clarification on this there is an article and video I’ve done to explain it further.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Awesome, thanks Johnny!

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Awesome Johnny–she says that she started transposing music for the alto sax for me already, Here she is to explain:

Hi, I am Meandy. I have in the past studied music theory and transposed tons when in High school, then a family came along and I slowed down and forgot a lot of things, but am getting back into it. A little rusty, but I remember a lot. I just couldn’t remember the ranges on the sax, knew it was an E flat instrument, like the trumpet is B flat, and was transposing some music. I only have one more question. I have been transposing the music the Major sixth lower, like I know to, then an octave higher, cuz I figured the Alto Sax couldn’t go much lower than the middle C. I just didn’t know how much lower it could go. Putting it up an octave higher to keep it in its range is okay? I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Like I said, it has been close to 20 years since I have transposed any music seriously. Thank you for the information. Meandy Bishop

john
            Keymaster

You’re over thinking it… if the piano notes are A B C in the middle of the staff, then the alto notes will be F# G# A. That’s a minor 3rd below.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Thank you, I do get how to transpose it, but some of the music for piano that I am transposing, starts around middle A, B, and Middle C. You mentioned to transpose a minor 3rd below. I have been transposing a minor 6th below, so I have been adding the octave. Why is there a difference? Is my Theory book outdated or wrong? The minor 3rd would make more sense to me, but I was just following what my book was saying, (being rusty and all….) I have been transposing all my concert music that my son wants to play a Major 2 lower for his trumpet and it all sounds good. That I am confident in, but the Sax is something I have been rusty on, I transposed more Orchestra music in High school.

john
                Keymaster

Not a minor 6 below. It’s a major 6 above.
                  Look at an E flat on piano. On alto sax, you have to play a C to sound E flat on piano.
                  That C is actually a 6th above in actual pitch, but to make it easier you can just count down 3 semi-tones to arrive at a C.
                  Now if that C is too low then just transpose it up an octave. It’s all relative. As long as you’re not writing anything below B flat cause that’s the lowest note any sax can play.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.