Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Trill thread – nice work on them, Johnny..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

I really like your Bb trill on Peter Gunn (wish I could do as well, trying Bb side key trill, not as good as yours; I was practicing today…any tips? thx..) at 00:51

really liked your Pick up the Pieces trill too at 2:45:

my whole life most of my trills just simple Bb sidekey ones (Bb/A), you use wider/better ones. looks like you use black tape on side of bell for tone+? thx for inspiring me to get better, you’re the best sax instructor

rock on… hey idea: make a “Growls & Trills Course” …(or ‘Great Growls & Terrific Trills’)…

john
      Keymaster

Hey that’s a good idea, I’ll think about that one.
        I use those wide trills all the time, just a staple in rock playing I guess.

Jazz Cat
        Participant

“Peter Gunn trill notes”:

I just figured it out…. the Peter Gunn trill is fingered by playing high G and trilling with side Bb key…the trick is, unlike normal A/Bb trill, keep all 3 left hand fingers pressed down, regular G-to-Bb trill. I didn’t know that, glad I practiced to learn it.

Also on Peter Gunn I like instead of F-f opening notes, F then D….and embellishing w/ F/D trills 2nd time thru melody/header. Fun song, thx Johnny for making the backing track, I’m going to do a youtube video w/fedora/shades for fun… your style is the ‘missing link’ I’ve needed help with in my playing, I’m still at ‘polite lead alto in high school jazz band’ style and need to rough it up like you do with more flavor and R&R growl style…thanks for all your training/role model, nice to learn from a working pro

still struggling with making that D-to-G# sound smooth, gotta practice…and the solo going D/C/Bb is tough

john
          Keymaster

You don’t need the side Bb for that trill, play the high G as you said and then trill with Bb above using the bis key fingering.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

thanks; I’ll try that. I never got comfortable using the bis or other Bb fingerings, always just A+side Bb key, I’ll give it a shot; useful to get accustomed to alt Bb fingerings

john
              Keymaster

I use the bis key probably more than any other fingering for Bb…try working it in, you may find it to be one of your favorites as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.