Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Trying to get that edgy, bright sound for Rock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Frank Basamania
    Participant

I’m trying to get that rock sound, the only way I can describe it is like Clarence Clemens sound. From what I gather, a metal mouthpiece is the way to go. I have a Selmer S80 C* that I picked up when I bought the sax before this one I have now but I think it’s more for Classical musicians. I’m playing a Tenor. I’m trying to stay around $200. I see Johhny, you recommend a Theo Wanne but the cheapest one I found is the Brahma for $345. I see Otto Links for around $220, I thought I would go with one of these. Just thought I would run it by this forum before I go any farther. Then Otto Link comes in all these sizes – 4*, 5, 5*, 6, 6*, 7, 7*, 8, 8*, 9, 9*. Which one would be best? I really appreciate this resourse, thanks, Johnny for setting this up. I’ve been a musician most of my life, I used to play sax in a rock band but really didn’t know what I was doing, I can’t believe I did it and everyone liked it. I did play Flute, Keyboards and Guitar also in the band. Now that I know what I know about the sax, mostly from this website, I can’t belive I did what I did before!! I’m back to playing sax and I love it more than anything. Thanks, everyone for any input.
      Frank

Z
      Participant

A metal mouthpiece will help. But you need to practice and figure out which one you’re going to get before deciding. I sort of made the mistake of buying online because there’s no music store where I live. I got a metal berg Larsen 110/1 which is equivalent to a 7*. It plays great for when I’m trying to play loud, but I can’t get my low notes out as well and I can’t play quietly at all. You need to make sure you get a mouthpiece that doesn’t limit the rest of your playing ability for the sole purpose of getting that bright edgy sound.

Frank Basamania
        Participant

Yeah, I was a little worried about issues like that, I think that’s why I’m hessitant to spend too much money. I didn’t think about the music stores letting you try out a mouthpiece before you buy, is this normally what they do? I’ll check it out. Thanks for your input.

john
          Keymaster

Stores will vary on this….
            A general music store might not be as flexible about you trying them out as a more specialized woodwind store, or if you’re really lucky to have an actual saxophone shop they will almost certainly let you try out anything you want.
            Whenever I was looking at a new piece I would take 3 or 4 into their practice room and play them for as long as I wanted to. This is obviously the best way to do it if you’re living in a city that has this.

Z
            Participant

Aren’t there also lots of hard rubber mouthpieces that are designed to sound like metal ones too? Metal ones aren’t gonna automatically give you that sound, and lots of people don’t like them. If that happens you could try like a Van Doren Jumbo Java or Jody Jazz. I’ve heard good things about them, but I haven’t gotten to try any yet.

john
              Keymaster

yes, lots of guys who play rock/jazz/blues with play hard rubber and get that sound. You can get them very open and a lot has to do with the player too. Personally, I haven’t tried one that can beat ones like Theo Wanne or Guardala medal.

Frank Basamania
                Participant

I am near a music store that has a practice room, that’s where I got my last sax. I took it in there and messed around. I bet they will let me try some mouthpieces. The thing is, if they will have something that I would want. I think they cater to the school band kids the most. Thanks for your input. I checked out the video that Theo Wanne made for the Japanese, that was very helpful and interesting.

Dazza
                  Participant

So I have been blowing my new OTTO link few a few day s now but getting loud squeaks on high c. And b and finding trying to play low d it plays in the higher octave. I thought it was the reeds but they all mostly are the same. I drop back to the 5C and don’t get this happening. So would it be the MP or something to do with my embouchure. I feel I am getting a good seal and not tired so don’t know what it happening.

john
                    Keymaster

my first thought would be that one of the octave pads isn’t sealing but since you said it doesn’t happen on the 5c then it’s all on you.
                      this new piece requires way more air so besides really belting it out from the diaphragm you must also open up the throat more.
                      I know this combo is not an easy thing to do all at once for newer players but focus on these 2 things as you play those problem spots and you’ll eventually discover that as you get better at doing those 2 things the problems will start to disappear.

Anonymous

dazza- i saw a pro on youtube and he was given a higher mouthpiece to what he used professionaly & he couldn’t play some of the high notes without the odd screech!
                        It’s definitely a case of getting used to a mouthpiece.
                        Last august i was practing playing daily with 2 mouthpieces one low and one higher and i was doing exactly the same thing on the higher mouthpiece – in the end my sax teacher told me to pick one and stick with it, so i picked the lower one as that was the only one i could play softly with.
                        I still do get the higher one out occasionaly just to play really loud,
                        but for the small room i practice in its just too loud – can’t hear the metronome properly!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.