Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Two more songs on the album I recorded using Johnny's Backing tracks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gary Deripaska
    Participant

Pete
      Participant

2 more to enjoy listening to Gary, what is your set up m/p, reed etc.

Gary Deripaska
        Participant

Thank you Pete for the kind words.

My Tenor Sax is a ” THE MARTIN” manufactured by Martin instruments in Elkhart Indiana between 1954 to 1955 ( Funny I was born in 1955 also) my parents bought for me back in 1969 , My MP is a Silver Metal Berg Larsen 110/ 2 they also bought me back in 1969. For recording on the album that I recorded for my parents I used a RICO # 2 reed and on some of the songs where I needed to hit the low C or Low C# I used the “Medium Carbon Onyx” that I bought on Johnny’s site.

Again thank you for the kind words

Gary D.

Pete
          Participant

Thanks Gary, sounds very good to me on the m/p and reed your using. money well spent by your parents on the sax hey!

saxomonica
            Participant

Too lovely, i really enjoy the raspy burble you use on, Can’t help Falling in Love.
              Simply beautiful, Gary, and most evocatively played. Ya gotta really nice warm tone.

RockinRobin
              Participant

Hi Gary
                Great sound. I too use a medium carbon onyx reed; sometimes I have to use a carbon onyx medium soft. Your timing is perfect, better than mine. Keep blowing, Cheers

Gary Deripaska
                Participant

Thank you so much for the very kind words Saxomonica truly means a lot.

I have a couple more songs I plan on posting where I had to use other backing tracks that weren’t available on Johnny’s site, and had to figure out the fingering on some of them to make it fit the track and timing. I prefer Johnny’s backing track as they are the higher quality, plus they come with the sheet music that fits the track to memorize before I record the song.

Pete,
                  Yes, for my parents to spend 150.00 dollars, when they really couldn’t afford it back in 1969 and then spend another 90.00 dollars on a silver mouth piece, really didn’t have any idea, what they were buying was worth it or not, they came out way ahead cause good saxophones and good Mouth Pieces aren’t that cheap these days

Gary Deripaska
                  Participant

Thank you William for your kind words especially about the timing, The guy that recorded me at the studio is a drummer by trade so he was cracking the whip about timing, I’ve learned so much about this industry recording this album, always something to learn. I sometimes too use the carbon onyx soft.

Pete
                    Participant

Hi Gary
                      I wondered how you recorded your playing, your not doing it from home then.

Mel
                      Participant

Sounds nice! Sonny Rollins used a Berg mouthpiece.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.