Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself UK gets another Sax Student

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nick Antrobus
    Participant

Hi I’m Nick Antrobus. Been a pianist all my life and songwriter for about half of it.

My search for a folding piano failed and I felt the need for an instrument I could actually carry.

I’d had a Clarinet. Squeaky and not sexy enough, and I had a brief affair with the guitar, and it slowly sawed my piano fingers to bits.

When I’d bought the Clarinet I’d really hankered after a Sax. I went to Woodwind Exchange in Bradford West Yorkshire and took on a real beginners piece. That’s when I found Johnny F and his great website. Learned some scales, got the hang of it in very basic terms and fell more in love with the horn.

Yesterday I went back to Woodwind Exchange, where they have an eye-watering Vintage Room. They rebuild horns there and Stuart who runs its and his family are all players so I figured I was in good hands.

I wanted something with a bit of life about it, and some history along with the quality you can get for the price. After playing a dozen vintage altos I walked away with a Buescher True Tone from roundabout 1926.

My wife has family in Indiana, where Buescher originated and she’s desperate to take it home!

The battered brown leather case alone tells a thousand stories! Into the bargain I traded the Clarinet and the other Alto and came out a happy man.

She’s beautiful.

Thanks Johnny 🙂

john
      Keymaster

Hey what a great story! Thanks for sharing. I’d say you were lucky to find that woodwind exchange place, sounds like you got something special. If you can take a photo there is a “show us your sax section here”.
        cheers and good luck
        Johnny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.