Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire urgent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joseph palumbo
    Participant

hi johnny
      was able to get in and order urgent thanks
      joeyjump

john
      Keymaster

Ok good, I see a few people have downloaded it… I hope the altissimo’s not scaring people away from it.
        There’s only 2 different altissimo notes in Jr Walker’s solo, but they are really high… G# and F# on tenor (not so bad on alto).
        I must admit, it’s been years since I played a high G# and had to stop and figure out a fingering and practice for a bit!
        Jr had that stuff down but good.
        anyway, altissimo or not, there’s a lot there to learn and have fun with.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

I just bought Urgent earlier today Johnny and I’m going to start working on it Monday as I got my first upload I’m doing over the weekend to get ready for what I’m doing locally and it will be “Careless Whisper” on the Alto Saxophone. The first number of uploads are going to be on the Alto…I’ve only done 1 upload with it since I bought it and didn’t realize that until I thought about it….time goes by too quickly! I feel really bad about that because there such beautiful music to be played on an Alto Saxophone.
          There’s some good stuff in the “Urgent” Instrumental. It’s one of those songs that, even though it’s got such a fantastic Sax solo in it, you’re not sure if the entire song would make a good Saxophone Instrumental–but this one is really good. There were a few songs that my wife wanted me to learn, an example is “Mirrors” by Justin Timberlake–that she likes a lot..I started learning them but stopped because I didn’t like the way it felt on the Saxophone. I told her that even though there’s all kinds of great music out there that we like, not all of it is suited for the Saxophone. In terms of the Altissimo notes for the solo of “Urgent”, I guess this upload came along at the right time for me because I’ve been practicing those notes often using your exercises from the Altissimo course. If you look at when I did “The Green Onions” the very last note was Altissimo G in that 5th Octave range, so just coming out “fresh, new” out of your Altissimo course most certainly helped….thank you, thank you, thank you!!! 🙂 🙂 So for this song, it’s not the really high notes that will scare me away, it’s the flutter tongue! It’s trying to come out, but I loose the intonation of the note as I try to play it. For now, I was just going to growl super-aggressively and when I do I can get in a very “small” flutter tongue. I’m working on it, but flutter tongue is really, really hard to do!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.