Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Vandoren ZZ Reeds–great for Alto, anyone try them on Tenor?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I got my new reeds in the mail today and for Alto I’ve been using the Rigotti Gold 2.5 medium reeds, but WWBW didn’t have any more of them in stock. So I ordered the Vandoren ZZ Reeds 2.5 and put it on my new Vandoren Jumbo Java A55—a very nice combination! 🙂 Has anyone tried the Vandoren ZZ reeds for Tenor Sax? I’ll be trying the Jumbo Java for Tenor in about 2 weeks, which is made by Vandoren too. I’ve heard some folks love it for Tenor, others don’t like it. I’m going to find out for myself, we’re all different. I wonder if these ZZ Reeds I just got in the mail with Jumbo Java for Alto matched so nicely because Vandoren made them both and ‘matched’ everything up just right? That’s something to think about.

Bill Mecca
      Participant

I’ve tried them, but I prefer Plasticovers. 😉 I’ve been messing around with mpcs and reeds lately. I used to play fibracell a lot, then when I had less time to play I found they were tearing up my lip. that’s when I switch to Plasticover. I used to file reeds etc and found I spent most of my limited practice time mucking about with reeds. So I went synthetic (or sort of now). I also played Vandoren V16 which I found were very similar to the Fibracell in response, and a bit warmer in tone.

I actually found a box of 2.5 Charpen tenor reeds (with the hole drilled in the vamp) Tried one and remembered why they are still in the box. LOL.

I was playing a HR berg .110 with #3 Plasticover, but my chops ached on long gigs. I went to a SS Berg .90, but the sound is smaller, can’t describe it otherwise. The other night I put my custom Link STM back on and it was like saying hello to an old friend. So right now it’s a Custom Link (baffle added and cleaned up facing curve), with a #3 Plasticover and a Selmer 404 lig. Until the next full moon. ROFL

William Cingolani
        Participant

Hey Michael,
          I’ve tried the ZZ’s and I keep going back to the Vandoren Java’s 2 and 2.5. I like the Rigotti gold too.Have some D’Addario select 2 medium too. I’ve had a jumbo Java T-75 mouthpiece for years. Real loud mouthpiece. I blew it yesterday. Shook the rafters in the house. I have some Rico Royal reeds size 2. You can compete with trumpets with the jumbo java mouthpiece. Right now my favorite mp is the JodyJazz NY 7* and/or the JodyJazz Chi 7*

Pete
          Participant

HI
            I have started to use ZZ No3 on tenor with my Otto Link super tone master 7star
            metal mp find it ok and responsive, used La Voz for years just felt they
            were not as good lately, try them I think you will like them.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Good stuff, guys 🙂 Hey William, that’s what I was saying that some folks love the Vandoren Jumbo Java for Tenor, others don’t. I know using it on my Trevor James Alto it was pretty amazing, perfect for the stuff that I like to play…talk about ‘screaming’ in the Altissimo range 🙂 That step baffle in the Ebonite mouthpiece is a pretty ferocious combination, so it definately has my attention for a possible Tenor Mouthpiece. I played with the ZZ reeds today for Alto, they sound great/clear but don’t have quite the ‘presence’ of the Rigotti Gold Reeds, but they are great on Alto Sax. As soon as WWBW says Rigotti Gold 2.5 Medium reeds for Alto are in stock, I’ll order a box before the disappear LOL I was certainly curious about the ZZ reeds for Tenor. I love the Java Greens 2.5 for Tenor too 🙂

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

Mike, so strange I have a Jumbo Java .75 opening for alto, Jake from this blog site has one as well , we talked about this months back, and I meant Jake had one for tenor, i think! I don’t know if I like it????????????On a positive note Mike I have a couple of boxes of reeds for you.I like Van Doren V-16 3, one half , java red Don’t know why I’ve been using Rico Royal 3 one half for about 2 months now, but you know what i don’t know if this is bad or good I switch reeds whats bad about that?Mike I don’t like ZZ’S They feel kind of buzzy to me?? But thats me!!

Michael Bishop
                Participant

yeah, that’s the thing about it Wayne is that everyone is different–what may work well for one person may not work well for another. I’ve been chatting with Jake through facebook messaging and he’s liking the Jumbo Java T75 for Tenor, but would love a bigger tip opening because the T75 has got a .105. I share his feelings because I’m the same way, I love bigger tip openings. I’m used to tip openings of .115″ to .120″, so the Jumbo Java T95 is what I may be looking at instead. I love that buzzy feeling you’re talking about. The ZZ reeds for Alto (and I believe Johnny uses them if I remember correctly) are really bright and clear, but lack the ‘body’ I guess you could say that the Rigotti Gold Reeds have. As soon as WWBW says more Rigotti Gold 2.5 medium reeds are in, I’ll order a box before they disappear; they’re very good reeds. The Java Greens 2.5 are awesome on Alto too and I was going to order them instead when the Rigotti reeds were shown to be out of stock, but the Javas were out of stock too! I even went to Amazon looking for either Rigotti or Java Greens, and same thing–out of stock. Those 2 reeds in particular sell fast, and for good reason.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.