Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Vibrato

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Lawrence
    Participant

Recently, I received a Yanagisawa alto sax for my 50th birthday – never too old to start learning an instrument 🙂 I have been a clarinettist for many years, and I am loving the sax.

One question, what is the best way to produce a vibrato? Have I missed it in one of the videos? I have searched on YouTube but am not really sure what is the best method.

All help would be appreciated.

Lucy

john
      Keymaster

Start by moving jaw up and down making the tone waver flat and then up to pitch again.
        Then close the gap on these low points in the sound.
        Eventually the gaps come very close together and this is how you control what type of vibrato you want to produce…
        Picture a wide sine wave with hills and valleys.

Lucy Lawrence
        Participant

Thanks a lot. I will give it a go.

Gareth Edwards
          Participant

I’m glad there’s a thread on this as it’s something I’ve been thinking about. As a harp player I use throat vibrato a lot and I’ve been experimenting with this on sax and seem to be getting good results. I have read that some sax players use this method, but by far and away the most popular technique is the jaw vibrato you describe. Is there any reasonwhy it’s the preferred method – does it offer more control and better tone, or is it just “horses for courses”. I just wonder whether it’s worth persevering with the jaw technique or continuing to develop what I already use? Perhaps both?!?

john
            Keymaster

us sax players use the jaw and lip vibrato to get that desired sound.
              throat vibrato tends to be known as the old fashioned sound, like they did it in the 20’s and 30’s.
              it’s kinda quivery and whinney and so not really what we want.
              flute players and other wind players use it still but not so much sax players.

Gareth Edwards
              Participant

Thanks Johnny, that’s great – the throat method does have that 20s, warbly sound – good for the Charleston, but not what I’m after! Jaw and lip it is – I’m away to practice!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.