Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Which Sax?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick Napier
    Participant

I have built up an interest in rock n’ roll and classic rock and I think my alto isn’t built for the style I am trying to play. I currently play on a Yamaha YAS-62III and I’m thinking of switching to maybe a Selmer Mark VI or a P Mauriat. What’s your opinion?

john
      Keymaster

Good area of interest! It’s not so much about the sax. Your sax maybe is responsible for let’s say 10% of your sound and the other 90% is from how you blow and your mouthpiece and reed setup. Better to spend the money (and time) on these things and keep your Yamaha…it’s a good one!

Anonymous

Hi Nnapier – Johnny’s right about keeping the Sax.
          I’ve only got a Yamaha yas480 which is an intermediate
          model.
          But my setup is geared up for playing Jazz in a very big room.
          I have a half hour sax lesson once a week, and my teacher is getting me ready for a grade 2 exam in november.
          The grade 2 exam is aimed ar classical music and is not a Jazz grade 2 exam.
          So everytime i have a lesson my reminds me my setup isn’t a classical one, but is a Jazz one.
          So for my exam pieces l have to reduce the volume a hell of a lot to get the instrument to sound like a classical one.
          And to play like that on my setup i have to work harder and give it huger supply of air to get soft sounds.
          The alternative which my teacher recomended was to change my setup to a classical one ie get a meyer mouthpiece,
          & use vandoren reeds to life easier!
          I thinks a case of changing the setup as well!
          But i’m sticking to my setup as i’m not classically inclined i lean more towards Jazz ballads etc.. so i might do Jazz grades especialy as they do watermellon man in jazz grade 2!

Michael Bishop
          Participant

NNapier: That’s a fantastic model of Sax you have–Johnny is 100% correct. That Sax will last you for years to come—on the funny side; if you don’t want then I’ll take it! 🙂 I can put you in contact with a fantastic professional MP maker; you can contact me if you’re interested in more info. He just did one for my Alto and I’m having him do one for my Tenor when I get back home in December…..I sure miss playing my Tenor right now.

I have saved about 70% of the money I need to buy a new Trevor James Alto Sax that I was supposed to have bought back in the spring…..I had the money IN MY HANDS and my wife got in a car accident, but she’s okay and that’s the important thing—and she has helped me save the money I need to buy my new Trevor James from the folks at Massullo Music; I should have it between Feb-Mar

can’t wait to pair it up and play it with the MP that I use right now, WOW 🙂 I have watched Johnny’s video on his review of it quite a few times LOL I am buying a pro model Sax because the Vito Alto I have is a student model Sax and I know that I will be sticking with the Saxophone…..It was something I wanted to learn how to do for over 17 years–given the circumstances, it’s been a LONG road and, for me, supplementing my playing with a pro model Sax will be “the icing on the cake” Thanks, Johnny, for everything you’ve done here on your site…..and doing that review of the Trevor James LOL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.