Skip to main content
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

Why is it that when I attempt the Open C# and the next note down the Scale (presumably a C Natural) both of those notes tend to be sharp?

I find the only way to correct it, (and I can) is to change the pressure of my embrasure on the reed, and slightly adjust the position of my mouth on the mouthpiece.

I notice it every time, but particularly when I go from the Low C up to the Open C#.

Somewhere I read that Saxophones have an inherent problem of being too sharp on one end, and low on the other end, and so they are tuned “in the middle” to compensate. Is THAT what I’m experiencing?

How can I ensure that I hit (“practice,” of course) a C# and C Natural “on pitch” without having to adjust? Is there a way to know going in, just a split second before I hit the note, that the pitch will be right?

I’m assuming that mouth position and mouthpiece position on the cork, play into this as well, and find myself adjusting THOSE things as well, to compensate.

-Soupy

Z
      Participant

Just experiment and find what works with YOUR horn and setup. Every saxophone is sort of different, so sit down with a piano and practice each note until you get each note just right! Before you know it, you won’t have a problem playing in tune!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.