Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Winslow Ligature

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

I’v been blowing my Guardala Fatboy. Today I/m blowing my Theo Wanne Durga 5. I took the ligature that comes with the durga and put on a Winslow ligature. Blows a lot better with the Winslow or even with a Rovner. So it’s the Winslow. Blowing “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” by Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand. Background music is in the key of C major so the tenor sax is in D major. Cheers
      William

john
      Keymaster

oh, my durga’s lig is attached to the mouthpiece. it can be moved up and down but you couldn’t remove and use it on another mp.

RockinRobin
        Participant

Ya John
          The lig is attached to the mouthpiece but The Rovner or Winslow holds the reed better in place, The stock ligature on the Durga seemed to always turn a bit. I did move the stock lig up to the front. Seemed to work better up front but the Rovner or Winslow worked best for me. So I removed the stock lig and replaced it with the winslow
          William

RockinRobin
          Participant

Hi John
            Talking with Michael Bishop some time in the past I bought an Enlightened Ligature from Theo Wanne for the guardala mpcs.
            William

Anonymous

How is Michael doing? i haven’t heard from him via e-mails from before covid kicked off.

RockinRobin
              Participant

G-day
                sx poet. I haven’t heard from Michael Bishop for some time
                William

Michael Bishop
                Participant

@Sxpoet @RockinRobin–Michael Bishop here; ironic timing with the comments asking about me. No, I don’t play Saxophone anymore–my Oral Cavity never made a full recovery-Permanent TMD Disorder 🙁 I was showing signs of recovery and did start picking it back up after some time to heal, I even paid Johnny for a 1-year subscription for Sax Academy and started working with my local teacher again, but the TMD inflammation all came back. I tried several things to manage it, but no go. After the Oral Cavity Surgery to fix my tongue tie that caused my jaw to go out of alignment, I was never the same after that. No, it had nothing to do with the Saxophone playing itself; my doctor already confirmed that. When I started playing Saxophone, the tongue-tie I was borne with restricted the range-of-motion from my tongue and the doctor said my oral cavity was trying to ‘compensate’ for the lack of range of motion–the tongue tie is why I was never able to flutter tongue on the Saxophone–I had no range of motion with my tongue, and it affects everything. Eventually, the joint on the corner of my jaw popped out of place and, no matter how hard I tried, that put an end to everything. I still listen to Saxophone music all the time=it’s still all in my head/heart and I don’t feel like I’ve forgotten anything in my mind–I still hear all the blues riffs/licks going in my head all the time. I’ll hear a blues backing track and my mind just starts going with all the riffs. Just the other days, I saw a video with Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jeff Healey doing ‘Little Sister’ on stage and Rock and Roll Riffs started coming to my mind with Stevie’s guitar playing on that video– would recycle Johnny’s ‘Rock and Roll Saxophonist’ solo with Stevie LOL with adaptations of my own, to play a solo in that song….the Creativity gets going and then reality sets in that I can’t play the Saxophone any more–my oral cavity simply won’t let me, no matter how badly I want it to….it’s a tough pill to swallow, especially when you love something so much; and loving Saxophone has never changed. AS you can imagine, It’s very discouraging, but that’s how it goes sometimes. It’s a hard pill to swallow that I’ll never be able to play Saxophone again. I guess some things just aren’t meant to be.

My oldest son who is now 24 has turned out to be a good guitar player and he really loves it, and my youngest daughter is learning violin right now–they both love it and I support them fully. For me, not being able to play Saxophone anymore really got me down and I decided to stay away from learning any kind of musical instrument at all–started focusing on other things that I like to do. I’ve played with the idea of going to the keyboard or drums, but it’s just been a passing thought/not very motivated to do it.

To all the guys who are here learning Saxohpone from Johnny–have fun with it and don’t take it for granted–there’s not another instrument quite like the Sax 🙂

Pete
                  Participant

Hi Mike
                    Nice to hear from you, sorry to hear about your problem which i remember when you had oral problems a few years back.
                    How is your other love doing ” fishing” still doing that.
                    Regards
                    Pete

saxomonica
                    Participant

Maybe harmonica might do it for you, Michael?
                      (Watch this on Youtube, says Bb harp)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.