Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation 12 Bar Blues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Trying to blow a simple 12 bar blues. Bb is my 1 note.

Bb Bb 4 bars of Bb:
      2 bars of Eb
      Back to Bb for 2 Bars and then F7 to E7 to Bb to F7

Doesn’t sound right

Anonymous

1 4 1 1
        4 4 1 1
        5 4 1 5

or

1 1 1 1
        4 4 1 1
        5 4 1 5

should be
        Bb7 Bb7 Bb7 Bb7
        Eb7 Eb7 Bb7 Bb7
        F7 Eb7 Bb7 F7

RockinRobin
        Participant

Thanks JB
          I know the format. I have trouble in the transition from the 1 to the 4515 in a melodic way/sound. Easy if i have the sheet music. Doing it from memory is almost impossible since I’m mostly tone deaf. We’ll work on it

Anonymous

if you can look at the “circle of 4ths” chart, and visually memorise what the chart looks like.

Then you can recall the I-IV-V chords starting on any chord on the chart.

Ex if your I chord is a Bb7 chord, then go anti-clockwise and you will visually recall the IV chord which is a Eb7 chord, and from Bb7 go clockwise and you will recall the V chord which is a F7 chord.

Similarly if you are into Jazz where you play the II-V-I chords.

ex if your II chord is a G chord, then go anti-clockwise and you will visually recall the V chord which is a C chord, and if you go anti-clockwise again, you will visually recall the I chord which is a F chord.

so if you visually remember where all the letters are on the “Circle of 4ths”, then you can quite easily recall the I-IV-V or the II-V-I chords starting on any chord

Anonymous

if you play chords I-IV-V in different keys going round the circle of 4ths, you get to hear the same pattern of chords, and you soon recognise what a I-IV-V sounds like in any key.

The same thing goes for the II-V-I chord progression in any scale.

It’s similar to recognising an octave note higher up, like if you listen to Somewhere over the Rainbow – Some(C)Where(Octave up C)

RockinRobin
              Participant

Thanks JB. Something to work on.I can see the 125 or 241 or 251 is good for improvising. How can any of those 251 etc progressions help me play “Wonderful World” by Sam Cooke or “Sweet Caroline” by Neil D1amond?

Anonymous

145 progressions found in blues music
                  251 most common progression found in jazz music

saxomonica
                  Participant
                    saxomonica
                    Participant

And 2 5 1
                      See the green circle on the tonal map to follow along with ok

RockinRobin
                      Participant

I was looking at some of my music. “Do You Love Me” is almost all 1 4 5. In my Aebersold book, How to play Jazz and improvise is the page with the Circle and 2 5 1 exercises
                        William

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.