Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation 12 Bar Blues

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Thanks JB. So I was practicing “Night Train”. Slow Swing in my sax Classics song book. making the High D sound like a train whistle. The music is 4 pages so I need to turn the page. So I need to to print all 4 pages so i don’t have to turn the pages. Printer crashed, broke. So I ordered a new HP printer from hp.com. So I can’t print Johnny’s new release, “Donna” by Richie Valens until my new printer arrives. In the meantime a new food processor was ordered, Medina Spirit won the Kentucky Derby, My wife picked the winner. I’m blowing “Night Train” in Bb. Lots of 1 5 4.

William

Anonymous

Good one William, looking forward to hearing your recording of Night Train.

i’m currently working on “What’d i Say” – hard going had to slow the track down to keep up, sheet reading is so tricky to get right for a novice like me.

Memorising the chord (arpeggios) is starting to pay off, i looked at the chords on a music sheet, and for the 1st i managed to play 12 bars without fumbling around the chords – got a long way to go, got to get used to playing the chords on music sheets its a strange concept, just in terms of playing straight chords (arpeggios) and not improvising.

RockinRobin
        Participant

I’m told by my computer that “Night Train” is a 12 bar blues. Looks like a complicated 12 bar blues
          William

Anonymous

A section
            1 1 1 1
            4 4 1 1
            6 5 1 1

B section
            1 1 1 1
            4 4 1 1
            2minor 5 1 1

john
            Keymaster

hey William, ya Night Train is a 12 bar blues for sure. I don’t see a need for a 4 page transcription tho…mine is only 2 pages with the solo written out.

Anonymous

I’ve seen the 4 page versions, they usually cater for four different instruments (quartets), Johnny’s version is fine.

RockinRobin
                Participant

Ya I like Johnny’s and I like Jimmy Forrest’s “Night Train”. Jimmy Forest’s is three pages long not four. Jimmy’s backing track is a slow swing. I like Johnny’s ending from the Coda to the end. I have both versions on my music stand, both are in Bb. My new printer arrived yesterday. took all day to install the drivers, with the help of a live technician from HP. “Night Train” will take a long time to learn. I’ll blow it every day.
                  William

saxomonica
                  Participant

saxomonica
                    Participant

Thanking you kindly @John for putting this air our range, that is in the whole scheme of thangs 🙂
                      Purrfect. You’re the best. Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.