Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions A SAD DAY !!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Morning folks. There is no easy way of saying this.
      So; I’m hanging up my horns.
      This chest pull is so painful, I really have no choice. I’m not going to ramble on, other than to say, I’ve had thirty some good years. I’ve met some great people, recorded, played festivals and more.
      Switching to alto was my last chance of making things work. It was not to be. It would be foolish to continue. Playing in constant pain is really not worth the time and effort.
      In a way, making this final decision has taken a huge weight off.
      I’m pragmatic about this.
      I have various R&R Books, Coleman Hawkins transcriptions, the ” Bird ” omnibook.
      If anybody wants these, shoot me a mail, we can work something out postage wise. I’m not going to charge for them, just p&p.
      I’m in a quiet and reflective mood. The future lies with my guitars.
      Its been a real blast, being on the forum. I want to thank Johnny; thank you all.
      Be safe, be happy, I wish you all every success in all you do.
      Thankyou….. Jak

Anonymous

I hold it true, whate’er befall;
        I feel it, when I sorrow most;
        ‘Tis better to have loved and lost
        Than never to have loved at all.

I think this applies to playing the saxophone as well?

I started playing sax late in life (56), i have no regrets as to
        not having had the opportunity to play it at an earlier age, from the
        amount of pleasure i’ve had. A lot of sax players usually pack up in their
        seventies, depending on their health.

i so no reason to leave the forums, thought of doing backing tracks?

Anyway, all the best Jak! in your new ventures.

jak Swift
        Participant

Sxpoet, hi man. Firstly , excuse me….AAAGGHH !!
          At the time of writing earlier, I was done.
          I have a mental block. Yesterday seemed fine; today…this is the thing.
          I’m picking up the horn, and tensing up. Shoulders and chest. I’ve damaged a chest muscle very badly.
          Its exactly that….a mental block !!
          I’ve known it to happen years back to a great Liverpool player, Phil Martin. The guy played like Brecker. One day, he couldn’t get a note, and never recovered. That’s Phil !!
          I guess writing this down, and actually packing my horn away for the last time…..I can’t do it.
          I’ve just got back from the hospital ( visiting ), and picked up some soft reeds for the Runyon.
          I’m going to summon every ounce of meditation, tai chi, whatever it takes.
          It has happened. There is nothing I can do about it, but one last shot at shifting the said block.
          If I just blow warm air through the horn, and so slowly let the notes develop, I’m home and dry.
          It is so frustrating, knowing every scale , pattern worth knowing, but being in such pain.
          In short, I can’t and won’t quit !!!
          In thirty years of playing, this is the worst situation I have ever been in.
          Where there is a will……
          I agree, many great players have had to stop, due to injury, dentures, ( Ronnie Scott sadly committed suicide ).
          Man, its a tough, tough call, but tomorrow is another day. Its far from certain to be honest…..BUT….I’m going to get through this.
          Thanks man…..
          Be safe & happy….jak

john
          Keymaster

real tough jak….sorry to hear that!

Anonymous

Hi Jak, if it’s a muscle, it can be strengthened through exercise.

Start of slowly and build up strength over time.

“Hit the road Jak!” (That’s the road to recovery, of course)

I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Anonymous

Phew Jak?
                You had us all going man!
                Remember it’s not over until the fat lady sings!

jak Swift
                Participant

Guys, thankyou !! Really it means a lot. I’m in no mood for TV, music…..Nada !!
                  I’m going to have an early night, and hit the long road back starting tomorrow.
                  If there is any justice in an uncaring world; within a few months, I should be well on the mend.
                  Take anything I have, but don’t take my playing from me. We all see people who have overcome huge hurdles.
                  I guess its my turn.
                  I’m NOT QUITTING !!!
                  Your support is marvelous. Many thanks.
                  I’ll keep you all posted, but for now and as always, have a safe & happy weekend.
                  Best…..jak.

Carl Robinson
                  Participant

Never surrender Jak—NEVER, shove two fingers in the face of adversity and carry on regardless. Even if you can only blow one note—DO IT WELL.

jak Swift
                    Participant

Cheers Carl, hit the nail on the head mate. I can’t believe I nearly left a big sax shape hole in my life. I’m kitted out with a new box of java 3, and this Runyon. Its not a Quantum, think its a smoothbore ?? Regardless, this is set up that stays.
                      I’m not going to witter on about all the stress I’ve been under; life’s pretty easy. Take it right back to the mpc and the neck, then just ease right back into it. The rest of the year is going to be taken up building my chops and tone.
                      Fine by me !!
                      Hope everybody is happy and well…..
                      Speak spoon…..jak

jak Swift
                      Participant

Got the open tunings mate, thankyou. Your moral support has been great….thanks man !!
                        Take it easy…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.