Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Altissimo Course Altissimo Course

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by john.
Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Johnny,
      I’m Working on “Lily Was Here”. It’s in the key of F# minor. I concluded that from the chords in the Sheet music. First chord is F# minor. Key signature is A major, three sharps. Looking at the mode chart you made F# is the first note of the Aeolian Mode for the key of A major. My thinking is that the F# minor mode takes its scale notes from the A major scale which would be F#. G#, A, B, C#, D, E. Would that 7th note “E” be raised one half step to an E#?

john
      Keymaster

No don’t raise the 7th. that would make it a major 7 over a minor scale and it doesn’t work over a simple tune like this.
        you’re right about the scale/key. You’re in F# minor. this is the original key which is E minor concert.

RockinRobin
        Participant

Thanks Johnny. I’m working on Pick Up The Pieces and Lily Was Here. Doing well with the two pieces

john
          Keymaster

Do you have the transcript of Candy Dulfer’s solo in Lily Was Here?
            I helped a student out with that a couple years ago and remember that it was quite challenging…all sorts of
            tuplets with 8’s , 16th notes etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.