Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Alto MP comparison

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

An Alto MP comparison between a Meyer 5M(modified to 0.085″ tip opening) to a Jody Jazz HR7. I did this just recording it with my LG3 mobile phone(since the whole upload process is much simpler). Perhaps I should do this with another take using my digital recorder(with Large Diaphragm condenser mic) with effects so I (or we) can compare any recording quality differences.
      Listening to the recorded result to me they both sounded pretty close to the same. When I compare how it sounded to me in the room, the Jody Jazz was a bit louder and to me a still brighter sound.
      The Meyer plays with a better feel and takes less effort to get controlled results. The Jody gives a bit more of the buzz to the tone but is harder to control and the little squeaks come out without warning. It is growing on me though, so I may be coming over from the “Dark Side”…

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hey Kevin,
        nice comparison–Depending on the mobile, like the one I have used that belongs to my daughter, lots of them are low-frequency devices and things like video, sound, audio, etc.. aren’t always convey things accurately–even the coloration of videos from mobiles can look very different, but it just depends on the kind of mobile your using. I did notice what I guess you could call some kind of ‘midi’ resonance coming from your voice. But from what I could tell, it’s pretty much spot on with what you described. The Jody Jazz has more “punch” to it and doesn’t seem to be quite as bright as the Meyer, but with the Meyer seems like you have more control. It’s the kind of thing that there’s a trade off using one or the other. With some time and practice, you might feel right at home with the Jody Jazz, takes time to get used to a different MP. Either way you sound great, nice open tone and I’ve always admired that from your playing, Very cool 🙂 On a side note, next month I have a diaphragm condenser mic with portable USB interface coming, it’s going to be a relief to have the recording bug fixed. The software on the cpu I used (cvberlink) is fine. Keep at it Kevin, very cool 🙂

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Hey Kevin, I forgot to ask you if you would be interested in doing re-facing the tip opening on an MP for me, let me know how much $ you nee for your time. My instructor has me playing a Vandoren Jumbo Java T95 for Tenor and I’m getting great results on it, but I want to get the tip opening opened up a little bit more on it. Right now it’s at .116″ and I’m used to a .118″, it’s amazing how we can notice small differences like this LOL. The Claude Lakey 8* has a tip opening of .118″ and when I started using the T95 Jumbo Java I noticed the difference between the 2 tip openings right away. The T95 is an ebonite MP with a step baffle, feel great to me with very smooth transition from note-to-note and with it I can play subtle ballads on it–my instructor knew just what I needed 🙂 but just need to open it up slightly more…but not too much so as to not be overbearing/difficult to control. To go with a tip opening of .118″ would be perfect for me for all kinds of playing. My e-mail is baboon4215@gmail.com, let me know if you’re interested. We can do it/pay you now in the month of March via paypal for your work. It would be much appreciated!

Anonymous

to me both mouthpieces sound completely different.

The Meyer to me doesn’t sound right, its lost some of its sparkle. If you were singing and i put my hands round your throat and started squeezing slowly gradually tighter and tighter you’d still be able to sing, my hands would have more control over your sound (not talking about pitch) than you would have. in other words the mouthpiece is more in control of your sound like my hands round your neck.

The Jody to me sounds more like what your sax should be sounding, forget the squeeks thats your embouchure not yet used to it. The jody sounds more responsive, and when you play it sounds more like is letting you control the mouthpiece sound than the other way round.

Also the jody reminds me more of that mysterious element that a lot f seasoned players manage to convey in professional recordings.

thats my 2 cents.

Anonymous

btw – a lotbif echo in your voice

Kevin
              Participant

James, my echoing voice (and likely sax recording) are from the room I’m using for my practicing. It is an 18×30′ workshop room in a pole barn I built in the back corner of my property. The walls, and ceiling were insulated with aluminum sided hard foam. So all surfaces are a hard sound reflective surface making for an undesirable accoustic setting. But it is a very private room out of ear shot, so I can blow as loud as I want and not bother anyone. It is hard to get motivated in the winter months to get out there, get the heat on and get to practicing.
                I thought your analogy was very good. I had originally just listened to it with some earphones plugged into the phone, and from my laptop after upload, but after reading your comments I played the recording through my recording setup that has an older stereo system that I “re-puposed” that was a surround sound system with subwoofer for our TV. Upon listening to it with some better speakers I agree with your comments. I had a gut feeling my Meyer pc (my sacrificial pc for my re-facing learning and is now 5mm shorter than stock length) had been recut beyond it’s pratical limit, but it was so comfortable and controllable to play, I was reluctant to retire it…
                Thanks for the feedback. Your ears are seasoned than mine for hearing those subtleties, likely moreso since you study with a professional and get to hear first hand in the same room those comparitive sounds. You’ll have to demo your DG MP sometime for us. I’m considering getting one, but need to get to music store to test some pcs per Johnny’s recommendation before I commit to that purchase…

Kevin
                Participant

Michael, thanks for the feedback and supportive comments. Regarding re-facing your MP, I would be glad to help you with that. From my experience of doing the re-cuts to my MP’s, a 0.002″ difference in the tip opening is very subtle, perhaps small enough change that you may think I didn’t change it. But I would appreciate the opportunity, for the reason that it gives the chance to measure, study a different make MP, plot it’s curve, etc. and do something I get enjoyment from doing. I’ll contact you via your email…

wayne wojnarowski
                  Participant

Kevin how long on the Meyer in comparison to the Jody?? Play the Jody as long as the Meyer than make another comparison.i have a old Jumbo Java A 75 and I’m going to try to do what you did .It’s obvious Jody has bigger brighter sound but as you said maybe more practice will give more control, for the test factor your Meyer sounded better to me.

john
                    Keymaster

Personally I wouldn’t do a serious test with 2 mp’s using a smartphone.
                      To me there’s not much difference in the tone but that’s not to say there isn’t really because you’d need a much better mic to tell.
                      I say this because I have tried using my iphone to record audio and it just doesn’t cut it…even my speaking voice seems a little bassy and muddy compared to my studio mic, which is not really high end BTW but still much better than my iphone.

Kevin
                      Participant

Johnny, Point taken. Before I do another MP comparison recording, I’ll use my recording equipment, take the extra time/steps it takes to upload it sync’d with it’s video content, and perhaps do it in a different setting with better room acoustics. I sure would like to get me a better mic, but a better MP for both alto and tenor sax are my next priority. Gotta sound better before needing to record better…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.