Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips Best Tip – for learning the sax

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

GET YOURSELF A SAX TEACHER.

I know a lot of folks because of their location find it impossible to have sax lessons by a Pro Sax player with years of experience, or find the cost too high.

I was fortunate to live near a sax teacher, and the cost of lessons for one year, i could buy a cheap student sax every year – so it is costly.

The benefit i found from taking lessons from the very start, is that i don’t need to browse the internet for information related to sax playing.

In fact all the information that i have come across on the internet was covered by sax lessons, so a big advantage is me not having to waste time browsing the internet.

The internet is great for anyone unable to get sax lessons, but it doesn’t replace what you can experience one to one standing in front of a teacher.

Leo Salu
      Participant

SP would agree with you on personalized instruction if that is available, in my area there is not even a music store never mind a sax teacher, so the internet has filled in that need nicely, Johnny is very helpful, many times i would ask him a question by email and he always offered great advice, latest was the MP i was using he suggested i use a metal MP over my selmer S 80 c*, got a ottolink 5 and love it. BTW i took lessons from a pro when i first started playing, but that was back in 1954 to 1961 then 3 yrs in a high school band helped immensely. (followed by 55 yrs of not playing which did not help at all).

john
        Keymaster

great points from both sides…
          there are a lot of good sax teachers online so it’s a good alternative to no teacher at all.
          But you can’t beat a one-on-one lesson with a good teacher. The problem with learning yourself (especially at the beginning) is you’re very likely to do something wrong and so a bad habit will start to develop. A teacher would be there to eliminate this, if not that bad habit can take a while to unlearn… this happened to me when I started out and was saved by a good teacher.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.