Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Copacabana

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Been awhile (I think), since I posted a video. Been so busy and haven’t had much time to play lately. My mom asked me to do a cover of this tune so I played around and decided to give it a whirl on the alto sax. Was a pretty quick paced tune. After watching the video, I know I am guilty of having my fingers to far away from the keys. Must be the exhibitionist in me, going for the flare and dramatics. LOL. Couple squeaks here and there but overall I’m pretty happy with it. Feel free to share your thoughts, concerns. Thanks everyone!!

Anonymous

That’s a good video Jake, I like it!

The video is a little spooky with its negative grainy image.
        I think it would be a great look for a thriller/horror theme tune/soundtrack, don’t you think?

Does your video editing options do a psychedelic look for the ‘good vibrations’ 60s numbers.
        BTW – Has anyone done a cover of Purple Haze on the Tenor sax yet?

William Cingolani
        Participant

Nice blowing Jake.Sounds great.

jake
          Participant

Thanks guys. Hey Jeff, I didn’t see a psychedelic theme in my video editor. I agree, a thriller would be a great choice with this grainy, dark theme!.. Hmm food for thought!!. Or maybe the tune SPOOKY.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Jake, I’ve done Spooky before on Alto, I have the song learned on Tenor too, just haven’t uploaded it..I will be soon. I can play the solo on both Alto and Tenor. Let me know if I can help you.

Kevin
              Participant

Jake, Cool entertaining video! Played cleanly and in tune. Glad to hear the Alto pulled out. The tone sounds more classical without that grittier buzzy edgy sound I know you strive to attain based on your dialogue to date. Don’t remember your MP/Reed setup for your Alto?
                I have been pretty much only pulling out my Alto for the limited time I have to practice, mainly due to my setup and playing just feels better on my Alto and my Tenor needs a leaky pad correction that takes a 2 hour round trip to correct (that I can’t seem to find time for going on 3 months).
                I have also been in pursuit of getting that buzzier tone to come out and I’m noticing it coming out a bit more in my practicing, and a few weeks back I put on a reed that I hadn’t rotated for awhile (Vandoran ZZ #2, MP-Meyer #5 modified) and I began getting that tone I was wanting to hear with that bit of extra buzz. I couldn’t produce it consistently throughout the range of notes, but I did start to gain a sense of control and feel where I could find the “sweet” spot that would produce it. Describing it may be difficult, but if I can find the time to hopefully repeat those results and do a demo video I will maybe have something to share that others can find beneficial…

Anonymous

long time no hear from you Jake, good to hear what you are doing!

jake
                  Participant

On the alto I’m torn between 2 different mouthpieces. I have been playing with a Vandoren Jumbo (HR) with has a high baffle and is really bright sounding, sometimes I find it too much for the alto, as in this song, so I went with my Meyer 6 (HR) which has no baffle. I seemed to prefer the sound here. Most of the tunes I do on my alto are mellow and I usually prefer the Meyer MP. Tunes like Harden My Heart, Baker Street, Turn the Page, Cool Change. If it’s not buzzy I’m fine. Now the tenor is where I am looking for that 80’s buzz sound. I’m getting closer everyday 🙂
                    And I used Rigotti gold 2.5 reeds on this alto take.

Anonymous

Hi Jake
                      Does the baffle have an effect on the back-pressure more than the sound? I thought it was the material of the mouthpiece which makes it sound brighter. I am using my standard Yamaha 4C on the Alto at present, which is becoming clearer by the day as my embouchure improves. The Selmer Classic silver mouthpiece is brighter and louder, but much too loud for my lounge. I would imagine that when I have acquired better control, I will be able to play it softly too.

It is very similar to the 4C on the inside with no baffle at all. It would be interesting to compare two similar mouthpieces, made from the same material. One with a high baffle and one without on video, to discover exactly how the baffle affects the tone and back pressure. Perhaps one of our willing members will do this for us, so we can establish how the two MP’s differ in performance.

wayne wojnarowski
                      Participant

Hi Jake I haven’t talked to you in quite some time , I think you got a new Tenor for the holidays?? How are you ?? i think our last conversation was about our mouthpieces Are you playing on the Jumbo Java It sounds pinched to me , you need more air which i know you have , to me it sounded choked off so to speak . Jake I understand that you talk with Michael Bishop, join our musical endeavor apprenticeship , Jake i think yo sound really good play some tenor!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.