Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video demo rough 5 songs tenor w/hemp reed

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

sry didnt put on youtube…

using hemp reed; best reed ive ever used

heres my latest

https://tradingjazz.com/mp3/kenhempreed.mp4

john
      Keymaster

how are you recording you sax…which mic?

Jazz Cat
        Participant

hi – audio-technica clip on instrument mic, into yamaha mg10xu mixer (great mixer btw)

john
          Keymaster

ok that explains it….those clip mics have a very narrow frequency range which makes your sax sound “honky”. there is no high or low range….just the mids for the human voice.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

thx, its https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Cardioid-Condenser-Instrument-Microphone/dp/B000K67VG0/ designed for instruments, but yeah a bigger mic like shure/sennheiser etc likely better… any mic recomendations? you sound great

also i get much better easier to play long notes w hemp reeds

my cluttered office : o

office

john
              Keymaster

haha the clutter issue is a whole other topic!!
                I went from an AKG S1000 which is OK (around a few hundred $) to a Neumann TLM 103 (around $1500 USD)

clip mics just don’t have what you need for a decent recording.

I made a mic comparison video which you can find in the blog section here:

Saxophone Microphones Comparison

Anonymous

The type of HOUSE room you record in affects 80% of the recorded sound and the choice of microphone affects 20% of the recorded sound. So the ratio of house room to microphone will show that not a lot will be gained by using more expensive microphones in fact more expensive microphones could show up more how bad the room is that you recorded in. This is why the Akg1000 is so popular for home users and for artists recording in different locations that don’t have time to spend doing sound checks.

However if you are are recording in proper sound room, the ratio changes – this is when the choice of microphone will make a big difference.

Careful with the cash when choosing a microphone.

imho

Jazz Cat
                  Participant

thx, good mic comparision page, Johnny… I’ll test my elvis mic shure super 55 too https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/super_55

its appaerntly popular with singers; tho not a neumann .. for warmth ive got a tubeamp preamp, will test that too

a very cool fx unit i use it the bose ve-20 vocal processor; outstanding autotune, reverb, echo, chorus ; highly recommend

right ro room acoustics make a big difference too

this is a must-get mixer; wish id bought years ago its fantastic, wayyy better than behringer etc

Anonymous

Recording equipment falls into two categories – hands on (mixers, 8track recorders ie equipment with physical knobs and sliders) or Computer Software (like logic
                      pro, using a mouse and audio interface). I’ve tried both, and there’s not a noticeable difference in recording quality for the home user, again the home user will waste a lot of cash for nothing buying more expensive stuff for 1% difference in quality.

High end software in the long run is cheaper than buying lots of physical devices, they have all the software used in hundreds of different mixers and will have a larger range, however it gets far too complicated for users with no sound engineering experience. For the average home user, standard 8track recorders will give the same quality recording as a mixer or cheap software with an audio interface the advantage being you wont need for a lot of knowledge.

i all depends if you prefer hands on equipment or software driven equipment.

careful with the cash

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.