Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces difference between a dark and a bright mouthpiecr

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

here’s my understanding

When you play a piano note, example low C
      You hear that low C fundamental note, and then you hear an octave C above that, then a G, then an F, and so on – these other notes are called partials, so i’ve been told.

The partials at the bottom of the scale nearest to low C are called lower partials and the partials furtherest away from low C are called the upper or higher partials.

You can have mouthpieces where there are less volumes of higher partials present.

You can also have mouthpieces with a large number of high partials being present.

Also the type of partials present in piano, are different to the ones present in a clarinet, which is called timbre sound, which makes a piano sound like a piano and a clarinet sound like a clarinet. Likewise a difference in mouthpiece design, can alter the type of partials present and their volumes of partials – so the mouthpiece timbre sound different just like a piano sounds different to a clarinet.

The difference in the absence of more or less upper partials, make some mouthpieces sound darker and others brighter.

Imho the dark sound is like the lower notes on the piano that don’t sound very lively, whereas the higher notes on the piano sound more bright and lively. like the difference in a young child talking compared to an old adult talking.

How to get those partials cooking in the right amounts has everything to do with your mouthpiece and reed combination.

Some mouthpieces are built for softer reeds, some for harder reeds.

The inside of your mouthpiece also has a lot to do with the “character” (bright, ping, dark) of your sound, And the type of reed has a huge impact on your sound as well — and REEDS AND MOUTHPIECES GO TOGETHER. (Yes, not every mouthpiece will be able to play on the reeds you have. Seriously.) So experiment with reed and mouthpiece combination

sxpoet
      Participant

The terms dark and bright is rather vague, dark sounds like evil and foreboding and looks like gloomy dark clouds in a grave yard, whereas bright looks like the sun has come out, the clouds have cleared away and everything around is alive.

Bright and dark sounds can cross over, and both are pleasant to listen to. You can’t say they are the difference between depressing and cheerful. Depressing and cheerful comes from playing different scales. So i guess a bright sound is more rough and out of control and a dark sound is more gentle and focused like the good old classical music.

who really knows – my guess is your dark and bright means something totally different

Leo Salu
        Participant

James that is the best explanation i’ve had on the difference. Listening to my latest video (baker st) would you describe the sound as bright or dark?

sxpoet
          Participant

hi leo,
            watch this video, as i mentioned before you can mimic dark and bright sounds with the same mouthpiece

sxpoet
            Participant

listening to your baker street sounds to me overall to gravitate more towards a dark sound throughout.

My interpretation of baker street the song gravitates from dark to bright in different sections.
              The otto link mouthpiece should be capable of dark and bright sounds. They say on the otto link use a rovner ligature for dark, and a metallic ligature for bright. but watching the above video, apparently you can voice either type.

Saxophone sound works in this order, for the hugest sound change
              1st your sound from your body
              2nd the Reed choice gives the next big change
              3rd the mouthpiece choice gives the next big change
              4th the ligature choice gives the next big change

That is if you use the same Saxophone.

The choice of saxophone design of bell size and neck shape are what makes sax’s sound vastly different, choice of metals used then come next which has a noticeable change in tone.

A reed with a lot of resistance will give you a stuffy sound (when every thing you play sounds the same and you cant change it), Otto links and theowane ambika mouthpieces can give a dark sound, but they sound different, prices are different.

Leo Salu
              Participant

Excellent video, a couple of his points i have been already using i.e. find a sax player that you like and listen to him/her playing when i started playing again 5 yeas ago i thought Johnny sound was the way to go, and i am still trying hard to sound like him, i listen to all his videos all the time and play along with his full track when ever i get a new song, like today i picked up his “Walk don’t run” track and sheet,and watched him playing it a few times and i was able to play the song, rhythm is so important and the full track he provides gives me that. BTW after listening to your clarinet player on the video makes me want to get one, that guy is good.

So like the video guy i guess i kind of prefer the dark tone over the bright especially after reading your description of the two sounds. ( my wife prefers the tenor over my alto for sound) I find the tenor is easier to play go figure.

Jeff
                Participant

Good video, very informative. Now to get the throat really open.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.