Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips embouchure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Wish i’d see this demo years ago,

at 12:16 is a brief recap of the topic

saxomonica
      Participant

Yes yes @sxpoet i like how he gets you to get exactly what you need sound wise to get over the lame duck call in a fashion relaxed as possible before hooking up the horn to get a nice sound which is very liquid and free and easily tunable, nice without to much lip pressure. Yes very interesting, nothing is to fixed. It is a great help. Only thang i’m not accord with is folding the bottom lip back over the teeth, i started out playing this way over a year ago but quickly changed to pushing the lip out and resting the reed on the fleshy part of the lip. I did this coz Johnny shows ya how on his lessons and though it was a bit hard to change i think i gotta fatter sound. Mate really appreciative of this vid and chuffed you posted with a tenor crook. It is excellent food for thought. But hey mate can you please tell me why you’s wish you had seen this demo years ago? And have you found it hard to relax the stiff upper lip lol? Cheers

Oi ya seen this bloke? cookin’

Anonymous

its the best demonstration of playing a mouthpiece, showing you can
          play a note without your top teeth touching the mouthpiece,
          and using the sax body to press harder on the reed to get a sound.

I agree about the bottom lip being rolled over the teeth, you only
          need a small amount of lip over the teeth, it all depends on how thick
          your lips are, mine are very thin, so i need them slightly over the
          bottom teeth to form a steady cushion for the reed, otherwise i would
          be biting the reed with my bottom teeth.

The demo also shows the result of too much and too less mouthpiece totally
          ruining the sound.

Anonymous

big dave, i used to watch him a lot years ago…

saxomonica
            Participant

She’s a real beaut mate, bonza stuff, spiffing and jolly good, i shall say cheers on your account over a sherry at the Club later 🙂
              B.D. would be most impressed!

Anonymous

brother cavefish
                Participant

daves cool, another food for thought, you watching all these techniques, you might cause a problem with your teacher, because every time he tries to teach you ,,you are going to tell him, “well i saw this , or what about this or that”, he is going to get pissed off, and so are you because you flooding yourself with information , differrant information , all good maybe but not for you at this point,,you need to play it simple if you want to learn from a teacher

Anonymous

i can see what you are saying, some people when they pay for
                    a service they question everything to make sure they are
                    getting value for their money and not having the wool pulled
                    over there eyes or taken for a ride like a fool.

I can assure you, i don’t behave like that in lessons, everything i read in books, and everything i watch online, and everything i learn in sax lessons
                    i try out at home and find out for myself if what is being said
                    actually works for me.

In a lot of cases what works for you may not work for me.

I have lots of agendas, for instance even though i practice
                    every week what i learn in lessons, i also practice other stuff
                    on the sax not related to my sax teacher lessons.

Example while doing my own sax teacher lessons, i bought JF’s altissimo
                    course and taught myself to play in the altissimo range without his
                    knowledge – this has saved me from paying to learn altissimo in sax
                    teacher lessons. kerching.

You have to experiment a lot on the sax, instead of being spoon fed
                    all the time by one person.

In terms of u-tube demos, it pays to watch a lot of the same stuff
                    done by different people, as in some cases for one specific topic,
                    that one topic might only be the one topic that they have explained
                    very well out of all the topics they have explained.

saxomonica
                    Participant

anyone care for a tin sandwich, refreshments,

Anonymous

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.