Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video First attempt with Tenor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thanks Peter, here’s the second tune I recorded that day.

Blues 2 MP3

Anonymous

I don’t know what’s wrong, I can’t get the third tune posted!?!

If you just change the name from ‘blues2.mp3’ to ‘waltz.mp3’ in the website address you can listen to the third tune.

All three tunes were recorded on my Philips Voice Tracer DVT2500.

Anonymous

Well played Jeff, all those sheet reading/playing exercises have paid off – you’re in tune. Got a good strong tone/timbre as well.

Anyone can play a single sax key in tune with a tuner – unfortunately that’s not enough to be able to play a song in tune. Keys tend to go out of tune the minute you start playing with other keys for lots of reasons – mainly lack of control.

In my case, i think i’ll spend the rest of my life practicing to play in tune. I also believe every new song i play, i’ll have to learn to play the whole song in tune.

Like Jf says – the short cut is ‘Get a Teacher’, in otherwords get advice from people who can play in tune.

Anonymous

Thanks Sxpoet, I’ll first have to play ‘Find a Teacher’!

By the time I get a decent one, I’ll probably know more than them about the Sax, thanks to Johnny and this forum’s members.

I’ve been listening to the pianist Ludovico Einaudi and ordered his sheet music book ‘Islands’ – wonderful music!

What about finding a piece of music you really love and playing it 10x a day, until you sound just like the artist?

I mean you only need to be able to play one tune really well to become a ‘one hit wonder’ – LOL

Anonymous

Teachers are hazardous, and they don’t like poems!!!

Education?

Anonymous

funny you should say that, i’ve been playing this tune several times a day that my teacher uploaded on to youtube (fly me to the moon) – we both played along in my lesson last week.

he kindly gave me a copy of his backing track, made by a well known sax player here in the uk
                alaister parnell

who lives near me. when i get round to doing my next grade, alaister will probably be accompanying me on the piano in the exam.

No matter how many times i play along to it from memory – i’m never going to sound like him. lol

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Hi Jeff,
                  sorry I haven’t gotten to this post sooner. That’s really great for your first time on the Tenor. As you know, it’s an entirely different instrument of sorts from the Alto; but with regular and consistent practice you’ll be just fine. You’re getting a nice, open tone–most people just starting off on the Tenor struggle with their tone, especially in the lower registers. You’re doing a great job, keep doing what you’re doing. Looking forward to your next upload 🙂

Anonymous

Hi Michael, thanks for the encouragement. Isn’t it wonderful how some players like those two guys above, can play a simple tune and turn it into a symphony?
                    I wonder how different those electronic saxes are for breath and lip-reed technique?

Anonymous

HI Sxpoet, that Bass player knows his strings too. Beauuuuuuuuuuutiful as my wife says. Some people just can!

You are so lucky to have access to talent like this, and take lessons too, wonderful stuff!

Anonymous

Just a minute Kevin – I’ve been working on my tone.

Work Song

It’s a little rough around the edges but it will give you an idea of my improved tone.

I didn’t want to keep you in suspense.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.