Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions growling on short tones (notes) as in Tequila

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bloozer
    Participant

well Johnny you growl on each tone and most of them are really short. How do you do that? On long tones thats not a problem, there is enough time to change the embochure and start humming. To avoid getting sour chords i try to growl more with my tongue instead.
      What is the trick? How are you doing this on these fast tones?

john
      Keymaster

It’s the same for short notes as is for long. Just start the growl and break up he notes with your tongue.
        There’s no embouchure change, just add the growl.which doesn’t come from your embouchure.

bloozer
        Participant

Do you change the pitch of the humming when you play different notes?
          I can’t create a growling on Bb3. Maybe i should tray to hum with a different pitch.

john
          Keymaster

Have you checked out the growling lesson here?

Growling

bloozer
            Participant

last night i played on another tenor saxophone, a selmer sa80 III, and it was much easier to hum and blow the tones . Even the Bb3 worked.
              I don’t want to blame my Jupiter Tenor and praise Selmer for being responsible for that. Maybe on a cheap chinese horn i could even do better. I only want to say that a hardware change could sometimes manage it.

I looked into your growling demo. Very nice. Maybe i didn’t catch all, what you said there, but you didn’t tell something about changing the hum pitch. Maybe its not needed. 😛

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.