Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video has uploading died?

• This topic has 40 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Yeah, I’m doing good now. For me, usually what happens is that the amount of time I was away from the Sax is about how long it takes me to get back to sounding good. I was away for 3 weeks, so provided I have daily practice it’ll be around that long to feeling great on the Sax. I started practicing this last Saturday again and between Sat-now I’m already noticing my mind, fingers, air support, etc.. responding well. So it won’t be long. Having a Soprano Sax now, I made some adjustments in my practice sessions…I’m so glad I got the Soprano, having loads of fun with it. It’s added a different aspect to my playing. I don’t plan on making it the mainstream of my Saxophones, but you will certainly see me do plenty with it.

William Cingolani
      Participant

William Cingolani says:
        April 26, 2016 at 11:30 am
        Hi Johnny,
        My Fatboy arrived today, April 26. Sounds great. I recorded myself using garage band. sounds great on the replay. I put the ligature on with the screw on top of the reed. I noticed what presses down on the reed is a center bar meaning the pressure on the reed is down the center, not on four corners. The lig does not fit with the screw on the bottom and there is no suck pop with the screw on the top. Maybe the suck pop is not so important. I have other Rovers that fit. The fatboy sounds great with the screw on top. The Winslow can be set up with the pressure points down the center of the reed. The fatboy is easier to play and I can play it softer, not so loud and then I can blow it very loud. Back to the Lig. None of my reeds are thin enough for the lig screw to fit on the bottom of the fatboy. I tried a java, Rico Royal, D’Addario, Rico Select, so I think the screw goes on top of the reed. The Fatboy wins 1st chair in the orchestra. Thanks for everything Johnny. I also posted this note on the Blog

jake
        Participant

Great news William, hopefully that means mine will be here in the next day or so!!!! So the Lig that comes with it is no good?? Can we hear it??

john
          Keymaster

the lig is good but if your reeds are on the thick side then it might be a little harder to slip the lig on…this is what I found.
            I think the screw is supposed to go on the bottom cause there’s a ridge on the top of the mp and if you put the screw on top it will not sit on there evenly. although, I did try it on top and it still worked out but I think it should go on the bottom.

Michael was kind enough to send me some extra winslow cushions for my lig so I’ll try it on my Fatboy soon and see if there’s any difference with the DG lig that comes with the Fatboy.
            I must admit that around the time I received the fatboy my winslow cushions wre giving me problems so I just put it aside and used the DG lig

William Cingolani
            Participant

Jake the ligature that comes with the fatboy is very good. After reading Johnny’s note I did slip the lig on with the screw on the bottom. It was a very tight fit but little by little the lig slipped on the mouthpiece with a Java reed on the mpc. Fits like a tight rovner. I have other rovners as backups. I’ll just leave the lig on the mpc when I store it with a reed on the mpc. The reed will seat better with the screw on the bottom. I’ll get that suck pop with the screw on the bottom. Thanks Johnny. The fatboy is very easy to play and I can blow more softly. I’ll record something soon

Michael Bishop
              Participant

@ William: When you post a recording, could you do a quick demo on the ligature? Listening to Johnny’s playing with the ligature, sounded like the reed was getting some good vibrations going, I could hear that “zzzz’ going, but that also comes from Johnny’s own air support too.
                @ Johnny: After you try the Winslow with your new Guardalas, could you let us know your take on it v.s. the ligature you’ve been using with it? I’m not looking at getting the Guardala right now, but if I do get one it would be good to already know whether I should get a Winslow for it or not. I’m so, so happy that I got a Winslow for my Tenor, Alto and Soprano set up that I’m using right now, because these are absolutely the best ligatures I have ever used. I hope there’s no shame in saying this, but I just don’t know if I’m going to be a “metal mouthpiece” type of player. That may change in 6 mo-1 year down the road, but right now my focus is getting my uploads started and working on applying the stuff that the man I’m working with is having me do. I just don’t know if metal MPs are going for me and I shouldn’t feel ashamed about that either, should I?

Pete
                Participant

Michael
                  You shouldn’t be ashamed at all I am thinking of changing to
                  a HR mouthpiece, been using metal for years just like a change
                  now. I have got 4 good metal pieces but never be 100% happy
                  with them, also just look at the great players who use the
                  ebonite (HR) mouthpieces. You use what sounds good and feels
                  ok for you IMO.

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

@ Peter Couldn’t have said it better myself 🙂 I love Ebonite MPs because you get the best of both worlds, the comfort of hard rubber and the brights of metal–I have noticed there are more and more Sax players who are switching to Ebonite MPs. I have played on metal MPs before too and had one of those Guardalas that was available from Amazon–there were things I liked about it and other things I didn’t like about it. With hard rubber/ebonite MPs, I feel like I can get more versatility. Especially for some of the stuff I’ll be uploading shortly, I feel like I can get a smoother transition from note-to-note without sounding squeaky, rough, etc..

Pete
                    Participant

@ Michael I have a Lawton metal 9*BB which is a very loud
                      and as a real buzz also a Lawton 7*B metal bought them
                      to copy my teacher a few years ago didn’t work out
                      and cost me a few quid, I use a Otto Link STM 7* metal
                      have done for many years now, but, as I said I am going
                      to try a ebonite. When I had a alto I used a Meyer ebonite
                      Limited Edition and it sounded unbelievable, still got it
                      I will be getting another alto one day, so it will be coming
                      out of its box once again soon.

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Johnny: I re: the DG ligature that came with the fatboy. I noticed on the inside different sizes are printed, S,M. L. XL.Under the S (small) is dot in the square under the S, meaning that the DG ligature is small. Maybe a medium ligature would be a better fit.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.