Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video has uploading died?

• This topic has 40 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Johnny, misunderstanding on my part regarding TOP of the mouthpiece and BOTTOM of the mouthpiece. You mentioned a ridge on the top of the mouthpiece, so the bottom of the mouthpiece is where the reed sits, so the ligature does fit. Now we’er good to go. I noticed that the ligature screw pressure is right down the top center of the reed. The ligature is a perfect fit now that I know my bottom from my top. Thanks Johnny

William Cingolani
      Participant

Michael: The MB11 and the fatboy feel good. Compared to the theo wanne mpcs the Guardalas are easier to blow and they are louder. I’m still working on blowing a smooth broad sound not too loud with some edge. I like the ligatures that come with the mpcs. Yesterday I used a rico H lig. on the fatboy. The rico H lig has 4 corners pressing down on the reed. http://www.wwbw.com/Rico-H-Ligature-for-Tenor-Saxophone-581627-i1446433.wwbw The MB11 and the fatboy are my No.1 mpcs

William Cingolani
        Participant

Michael: The Rico H ligature is the smaller size. JodyJazz uses the rico H on its metal mpcs. I got mine from JodyJazz http://jodyjazz.com/product/rico-h-ligature-and-cap/

john
          Keymaster

I just noticed that writing on the inside of the lig after you mentioned it William.
            I’ll ask Nadir about it.
            The first time I put that lig on I instictively put the screw side on to too.
            But after noticing the ridge I was sure it was the other way around.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

@ william: These Guardalas are easier to blow than Theo Wannes ? Am I reading that right? When you make that comparison which Theo Wannes have you tried to use before?

William Cingolani
              Participant

Hi Michael: I have the Theo Wanne Guia, Ambika, Durga, Shiva. All metal 7*. The Ambika is dark. The durga and shiva are too loud for inside the house and hard to control. My wife complains that the MB11 is too loud. I can tone down the Fatboy. The Guia is not too loud for the house. The MB11 sound and the fatboy sound have more buzz and are much fatter than the Theo Wanne. But it all comes down to the player. Who’s swinging the golf club, Roy Mcllroy or some amateur?

William Cingolani
                Participant

Hi Johnny. After realizing which is the top and which is the bottom of the mpc, the ligature fits, screw on the bottom. I was concerned about the small thin pressure plate in the ligature. The pressure plate puts pressure right down the center of the reed.Is that enough to seal the reed? I have a few Rovners. I also use the sane ligature that JodyJazz uses on its metal NY, & Chi, the Rico H ligature http://jodyjazz.com/product/rico-h-ligature-and-cap/

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Hi William: You hit the nail on the head and make a very, very good point about whose swinging the golf club. Everyone’s own Anatomy is different–our Oral Cavity, our vocal chords, air support, etc.. When I got to mess with my Instructor’s King Cleveland Sax (and discovered how great Winslows ligatures are) I sounded drastically different than he did…even though I was playing around with his set up, the very one that he uses all the time! He loves the Otto Link MPs, likes that mellow, fat sound. It kind of freaked me out a little, but his point to me was that just because he sounded good on his set up doesn’t that I would, or if I did sound good that I still wouldn’t sound exactly like him and that was because of things like our own oral cavity, etc.. I tried the Durga about 1 1/2 year ago for Alto–I didn’t find it to be too hard to control or anything, but for the Alto it was too bright—is an MP I would definately consider for Tenor Sax. Our member Jake has the Shiva and loves it..he was talking about how loud it is too 🙂

Pete
                    Participant

Michael
                      Hard rubber or metal?
                      Earl Bostic = HR alto
                      Stan Getz = HR tenor
                      Dave Koz = HR tenor
                      Joshua Redman = HR alto
                      the list goes on it is what you feel is right and is the sound your looking for
                      that matters.

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Michael wants to see some of my ligatures, So here’s “To All The Ligatures I Loved Before”. Playing the Fatboy. The fatboy ligature works well. Screw on the bottom side. https://youtu.be/WKOqMYmG5ic

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.