Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello Fellow Saxophonist,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gary Deripaska
    Participant

Just getting back into the saxophones after about a 44 year absent. I played all through high school The Tenor, Alto and Baritone Sax here in the USA and then in a small band after that, even had a lot of hair back then 🙂 Then I put it down for my aviation career, but now after about 46 years in flying all around the world it’s slowing down a fair amount which is allowing me time to pick the Saxophone back up. I have been playing with the background tracks that Johnny has, they have been a huge help in getting my sound / Tone back. I’m amazed at how fast reading the notes and the fingering on the sax has come back, just happy that part of my brain still remembers, even though I still forget to do what my wife ask me to do sometimes.
      Obviously Boots Randolph was a huge inspiration when I was learning to play the sax back in the early 70’s, I can only dream of being a 1/4 as good as he was or as Johnny is, really sad Boots is gone now. However I do want my own tone and style. Doing a recording for my parents of about 6 or 7 songs, since they loved the sax and Boots Randolph, I just hope and pray I can do the songs justice and have all of them down pat before I head into the recording studio. I’m currently putting in about 4 hours of practice a day about 6 days a week. My current flying job allows me a lot of time at home, which is really nice.

Anyway just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I have a Martin “THE MARTIN” Tenor Sax made in 1954 which is what I will play in the recordings, but I also just bought a “Kenny G” Alto sax with a SILVER BELL.

Take Care and best of luck to all, with the Saxophone
      Gary D.

john
      Keymaster

Right on Gary, good for you in doing a recording for your folks.
        Boots had such an extensive library and there’s a few on my list here that he’s done too as I’m sure you’re already aware of.
        Funny, I have several pilot buddies and they play music too….mostly guitar and sing at the parties etc

Gary Deripaska
        Participant

Thank you Johnny. Yes Sir, I love the background tracks you have on your site, Unchained Melody is one I’m going to record that I’ve already downloaded and have been working on. I already have Hallelujah memorized with a back ground track that I found and pretty much ready to record that one, I do a few runs and growls in that one Also going to do Moon River as well on the recording , I downloaded from you. I also downloaded the tutorial as well for Moon River, a huge help. I downloaded “Can’t help falling in love” Elvis classic from you which will be on there. That has been a huge help thank you so much for providing that. The best part about all this, I absolutely love playing again. Almost seems like I can’t play enough, and that’s after practicing between two to 4 hours each day.
          Love your saying about the sound of the sax comes from deep down inside the player , not necessarily the horn it’s self.So so true.

Thank you Johnny, Take Care

Simon
          Participant

Hello Gary and welcome to forum. It’s nice to see people from all around the world meeting here and sharing their stories and experiences. Many of you are my inspiration, with Johnny at first place of course.

Gary Deripaska
            Participant

Thank you Simon, Yep, Johnny’s absolutely the best for sure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.