Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi. New and overwhelmed…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Richard Chew
    Participant

Hi, Natalie, Jeremy, Sxpoet, Lisa, Wayne,

I am Richard Chew from Malaysia. I find this site is so interesting & much information that able to help anyone who has interest in paying the saxophones.
      I played alto & tenor sax some 25 years in a night club band. I sold off my saxophones,stopped playing & started working full time in office. I have just bought myself a used alto ( not a real good one ), and trying to play as hobby & small events. I am now 58 years & like saxophone music very much.

As I am still working now, I hardly have much time to practice except during weekends.

Anonymous

Hi Richard – It is a great site for picking up tips from JF.

I’m amazed at the number of newcomers on it that have only been playing the sax for a couple years who then go out and buy Tenors & altos as well. My instructor tells me it takes him 2 weeks for his embouchure to settle down and get used to a brand new mouthpiece. So to be swapping between mouthpieces on different instruments for a learner can’t be a good idea? If you are Pro then its not too bad, but for a beginner? He tells if he’s going to practice on his Alto and his Tenor for Gig, then he does them on separate days and not both on the same day, so as not to affect his embouchure.

His main instrument for Gigs is the Tenor, and when he plays the Alto i can tell difference between the Tenor and alto in terms of pitch and intonation, the alto is less in tune and intonation, even though both of them are selmars. Don’t get me wrong they both sound good.

Hi sxpoet, thanks for the post 🙂
        It’s a shame people don’t seem to stick with this site. I haven’t been here long but already impressed and learning lots of new and exciting things.
        I too see my music teacher regularly and am working through the grades but want to really develop and I think it is important to experiment and take on board other views, styles and great advice – something JF has in buckets!
        It’s also fab discussing highs and lows with like minded people!

Hi Richard, am so pleased you have picked up a sax again!!
        Deciding to play sax was probably one of the best things I have done and wouldn’t be without mine.
        Music is good for the soul – enjoy your weekend practicing

Lisa Heselton
        Participant

Hi everyone. Nice to meet you all. I hope our UK contingent is here to stay!
          Natalie, whereabouts are you? I’m in Teesside. Regarding your advice, Ive already arranged some tuition and begin on Tuesday! So excited! I do feel like it would be good to get that solid feedback and groundwork to set me up.
          I feel like I’ve only skimmed the surface of this sites resources so I’m looking forward to progressing.
          I have pretty much wanted to learn sax since childhood so I plan on remaining committed.
          I shall let you know how it goes! 🙂

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

Hey Richard whats shakin? This site for me is awesome! I’m new to it about 4or 5 months.I’m from Chicago your right lots of good info great people Johnnies books are challenging
            but fun to work on. He offers sooooooooooo much it’s unbelievable, it makes me happy , excited , it makes me want to practice! Dude forget your age MUSIC SETS YOU FREE don’t you know none of us will ever get old!!Our music is our Fontain of Youth. Johnnies teaching manner is very low key down to earth, he explains lessons in a way you an understand them,
            he offers tons of free stuff. Your in a good place bud, hope you didn’t sell any mark vi’s. In regards to time I’m actually a drummer who jams with my friends here in Chicago, always looking for that gig or new person or person’s to jam with “open mikes’ are great places to strut your stuff so to speak, and last but not least I too have a day job to pay the bills. But weekends are better than nothing until you find more time to practice. KEEP ON PRACTICING BROTHER!!!!

Hi Lisa, great news about the lessons! So excited for you!
            I am, for my sins, posted all the way down in Devon (Plymouth to be specific).
            I hope you find lessons as helpful as I do – I felt like I was splashing around in an ocean of information and lessons helped to strip back and focus on what i really need to know to match my current level.
            Have fun!
            Nat

Anonymous

i self taught myself to play the guitar 43 years ago and that was very easy, the sax on the other is like the magic circle, you need to learn from the Master and find out all his tricks. in my humble opinion anyone learning to play a saxophone without an experienced sax playing teacher should find an easier instrument to play like a rcorder.

Anonymous

Sxpoet – but… we have Johnny! What more could one ask for than an experienced professional?
                That’s why I do uploads for feedback – other players comments are very constructive too.

You were lucky! We used to dream of having a Sax teacher! (Monty Python – 4 Yorkshire men sketch) I was born and lived in the UK till I was thirteen, but down here in South Africa, shopping and tutoring can be a little less than perfect! So we have to improvise or ‘make a plan’ as we say down here. I’ve learnt everything I know about the sax just by listening and reading other people’s notes, posts and videos, which have all been very informative and encouraging.

One thing I’ve found about playing a Tenor and an Alto. When I have a practice session on the Tenor I tire after about two hours, but the next time I pick up my Alto, I’ve noticeably improved my sound and extended the time I can practice. The Tenor forces me to work much harder – thus building those diaphragm muscles.

Anonymous

Pure South African passion for music!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.