Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds i finished testing 7 different vandoren reeds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

Day One – The Traditional Reed (3) – I found this reed slightly hard going, but it gives a strong solid classical deep tone, slow responding, and slightly breathy. Suitable for slow tempos not lively tempos.
      (Designed to produce a quality of extremely pure sound.)

Day Two – The Java Green Reed (3.5) – This Unfiled reed i found more suited to jazz, being slightly too buzzy for classical sound. The response was not fast, but the reed was very playable and suits a slower tempo.

(Designed with a thicker UnFiled tip and a more flexible palette than the Traditional reed allow vibration over a larger surface area with maximum elasticity, for jazz and popular music.)

*Day Three – The Java Red Reed (3.5) – This Filed reed was just capable of playing Altissimo G, a slightly harder reed to play, more breathy, slightly buzzy and suitable to Jazz but not classical sounding.

(Designed a Filed tip offers a full, rich, centered sound and excellent projection with an extremely precise attack to offer more sonic possibilities to musicians while keeping the qualities of the original Java.)

*Day Four – The ZZ Reed (3.5) – This read had no problem playing Altissimo G and above. Definitely a Jazz reed with a slight breathy sound. Hardly no buzz at all. Felt more like a easy going relaxed reed.

(Designed to Give the Jazz player a rich, colourful sound with quick response without sacrificing the brightness or tone quality required for this style of music. Great response and a durable life.)

Day Five – The V12 Reed (3) – good altissimo, good depth of tone, no buzz, nice for a deeper sounding mellow music

(Designed for a very precise attack, homogeneous timbre in every register, controlled high notes, warm and velvety sound.)

Day Six – The V16 Reed (3) – good altissimo, a slightly harder reed to play but playable, very deep sounding and mellow and slow jazzy. A more mature sound than the V12.

(Designed Sound: more brilliant, more percussive, particularly well adapted to all the new styles of music. For jazz musicians like a stronger JAVA.)

Day Seven – The V21 Reed (3)- easy reed to play, altissimo is week, good jazzy buzz, much easier to play than the V16.

(Designed to be a premium versatile reed. In any style – with any mouthpiece. Offers a clean, particularly warm and centered sound while providing an excellent sound projection. Allows precise articulation and great ease in achieving large interval leaps.)

sxpoet
      Participant

i’ve been playing Johnny’s Michelle on the Clarinet using a plasticover 3.5 reed and it sounds perfect.

That’s the tone i’m looking for on the Alto, so now, out of all D’addario and Vandoren reeds i’ve tested, i need to pick one that gets me the closest sound i want. It could be a slightly buzzy jazz tone or a deep mellow classical tone. Obviously it won’t be identical to a clarinet sound, but it’s what i’m aiming for.

Unfortunately i can’t record and upload it, as every time i’ve done it in the past, it’s been taken down, due to copy right issues. It’s just too well known.

Jeff
        Participant

I don’t understand how youtube can have whole albums of artists, which you can record (pirate) and other sites get upset when you just play a familiar tune.
          One way around the lunacy is to get your own website and you can place whatever you record there.
          They aren’t expensive these days if you go for the minimum storage space option. You could also try the free storage in Google Mail and use a link for sharing.

Jeff
          Participant

Here is a test using Google’s gmail 15Gb free Drive space.

Sound test

Yep it works for me, see if it works for you. This could be a quick and easy way to share your latest recordings.

sxpoet
            Participant

i’ll bear that in mind.

https://www.01net.com/en/cloud/secure/

sxpoet
              Participant

i used a gmail account awhile back, and got rid of it – as i was fed up with the sheer amount of googles privacy options i had to set off and on, for an e-mail address. I thought facebook was just as bad and deleted it.

Jeff
                Participant

Yeah! Why would I want a facehook or to be a Twit-for? I only have one rule and that’s no financial transactions online, via smartphone or with my primary Dedit Card. If I do transfer funds it’s an ETF transfer in person at the bank. You can’t be too careful these days.

sxpoet
                  Participant

What’s ETF stand for? Couldn’t find it online.

Leo Salu
                    Participant

electronic transfer of funds

sxpoet
                      Participant

EFT (electronic fund transfer) is used to move money from one account to another. The transaction is completed electronically, and the two accounts can be at the same financial institution or different financial institutions.

ETF (exchange-traded funds) are exactly as the name implies: funds that trade on exchanges, generally tracking a specific index. When you invest in an ETF, you get a bundle of assets you can buy and sell during market hours—potentially lowering your risk and exposure, while helping to diversify your portfolio.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.