Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire "I Was Made to Love Her" C to Bb turn-a-round?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      I’m getting close to to having “I was Made to Love Her” done and was wondering if in select places on the song your doing quick, little “turn-a-rounds” between C and Bb? It sounds really good to play a C-to-Bb as a quick little turn-a-round, followed by playing another C to Bb without any kind of turn-a-round….you taught how to do turn-a-rounds in your lesson of “Night Train”. Sounds great to change it up a little there v.s. just playing them as straight notes without any kind of embellishing at all, turn-a-rounds are cool little embellishments 🙂

john
      Keymaster

yes, did tons of them on that tune cause they just fit so well.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Cool, thanks 🙂 This song was a true Altissimo “workout” LOL As an example, I have finished my Instrumental of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” modeled after King Curtis, I played it in the key of C# for Tenor (the track is in the key of B, I e-mailed it to you a few months back) “I was made to Love Her” is much more of an Altissimo workout! I know C# is a crazy key to be working with, but it was fairly easy to hold Altissimo C# for a long period of time. That’s not the case with the song I learned from you…that Altissimo G was a BEAST to learn to hold and playing that long. Quite honestly, I wasn’t sure if I had “bit more than I could chew” with this one LOL But I made it/got passed that barrier (without passing out LOL) With “heard It Through the Grapevine” there were a few flat 7 notes and a few flat 3 notes, but they sound great when played at the right time. When I had e-mailed you the sheet music I bought a few months back, you may remember it was a little confusing..there’s like 40 seconds of the song that he didn’t transcribe, so I was forced to do it myself working with the scale…knowing how these scales work was a huge help to say the least.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.