Home Forums Saxophone Tips is it worth buying a Pro horn?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Johnny Johnny 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Sxpoet, I know just what you are referring to regarding ‘typewriter feel’!

When talking about Pro horns we aren’t referring to knock-offs from sweat shops. That quote from the Yamaha site said it perfectly. They design the ideal saxophone and that becomes the top model. Then they compromise on design and materials to produce a cheaper range which is affordable to all players. Clearly Pro is not the best they make, and perhaps one should be looking for a Custom Sax.

One thing I didn’t consider when buying my curved Soprano was it’s suitability for my hand size. Everyone’s hands are not the same size and finger length varies too. I feel your comment from a little while ago is good advice i.e. a person should find a suitable horn, develop their sound and playing skills, then try out different models to discover the sound they desire and find the most comfortable horn to play. If one is playing for many hours a week the price is not worth worrying over because shops can always work out a payment plan. The more time one invests in an item the more affordable it becomes, especially when compared to costs of other live entertainment like SAT-TV.

Now that I am beginning to play my chromatic scale at speed I am feeling a little restricted by the mechanism. Yes, I am playing it too fast for normal music (maybe not Yackety Sax) but I would like to go faster. Michael has fuelled my lust for quality because now I’ve seen a beautiful YAS-82ZB on the Sax UK website where he bought his Soprano – LOL (thanks Michael).

I’ve gotta own one!

Anonymous

thanks Jeff – less clunky and probably a bit lighter might help.

Some of the pro’s over here in the Uk are generaly well known in local music shops, and get discounts, also get to try out instruments – so its unfair to expect them to say one way or the other what they feel as it has an impact on them and their livelyhood.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

So if your sax is to “clunky” to manage the melody of this song, then you probably need a pro sax…

Anonymous

if i play radeski march which is an easy beginners tune, the clunkyness is noticeable.

i’m getting it seviced in a couple of months time, i’ll see if when they oil it, if it plays any better, didn’t seem to be like it is now compared to when i bought it. last week one of the metal springs popped out, and certain keys have a rattling noise in the moving parts.

Anonymous

@kevin – if you’ve got 129 face book friends, you could link up with them and play radeski march like this

Harry Erickson
    Participant

Hello!

Maybe here you will find several useful options: http://windplays.com/best-saxophones-for-beginners/
    I think it’s really individual opinion about any saxopnone and you should carefully read information and characteristic about every option to deside what to buy.

Carl Robinson
    Participant

I can only come at this from my background as a guitarist learning the Saxophone. What any pro instrument gives you is reliability, because if you are playing enough you need an instrument that you can rely on. These same arguments are nothing new no matter what instrument, but the truth is it is the player. Which is why a great guitarist/saxophonist could make an entry level instrument sound good, it’s mojo over material lol.

Anonymous

Thats true, a professional racing driver could probably outclass your car on the road by just driving in a clapped out old motor, but when comes to grand pri racing he’s not going win anything in a heap of old junk. the Sax is only machine and like any other machine there are machines and then there are machines. All these top yamaha owners, when it comes to the crunch, they take out their selmar’s. lol

It’s just another can of worms…

jak Swift
    Participant

Straight answer to a straight question. Do you WANT one, or do you NEED one. If you have the bucks, go for it. Be wary, choose wisely. You want something that is going to hold or increase in value. If it were me, I’d go halfway. Lupifaro make great saxes, but who needs a platinum finish ?? Nobody !! I’d go with a Lupifaro raw ( if they do one ? ) or same horn, standard laquer. Platinum 4000 pounds. Straight Lupifaro, less than half. Regardless I wouldn’t pay more than $2500 on anything….period !!

Jake Howard
    Participant

Mate, it completely depends on the customer – said Matt Stohrer (Saxophone Expert)

According to me, if you are willing to use your Sax for professional purpose then I will suggest to go for Pro Sax options like these https://disappearsmusic.com/best-saxophones-for-professionals/ instead of Saxos for Students.

So don’t look for reasons, instead try to analyses the purpose and you will get the answer.

Anonymous

when it comes to choosing saxophones, mouthpieces, ligatures and reeds,
    you’re opening pandoras box discussion that leads nowhere, everyone has a different preference, Sales folk are only interested in selling their stuff and will tell you what you want to hear just to get a sale.It’s the same with jewelry ..oh madam that ring does look nice on you, i have the same ring at home…(give me a break).

What i will say, is i asked my pro about buying a new yamaha 62, his advice
    was it would be far better to use the same money and buy a second horn higher up the saxophone grades. Professional sax players not on commision
    are the best people to ask, also they should recomend a sax that is better
    suited to your style of playing.

john springer
    Participant

I am new to saxophone but played guitar for several years. I would not pay less than $130 bucks at Guitar Center for an acoustic guitar because the cheaper ones had real tone problems and buzzed. The guitars above $130 sounded good. But early in the beginning, I could not make a $1500 dollars sound any better than the $130. Seasoned players could make the $1500 sound sweet – but not me. So an expensive guitar was not worth it for me in the early stages. But then I got better and as I did I had to keep buying better guitars because my ability to produce notes with expressions had matured. Eventually I needed the $1500 guitar for recordings because the mike picks up everything. When I got pretty good, I tried the more expensive guitars, i.e $2000 and up. No difference in sound. $1500 was the cap on sound improvement. Beyond the $1500 dollar range people were paying for beauty such as engravings, special finishes, shiny keys, custom embroidered fret board etc. Then I switch to electric. My $800 Gibson Les Paul studio sounded better to me than the $2000 Gibson Les Paul standard.

I suspect that the cap for sound improvement for the saxophones stops way before your reach the professional models. After that point, I suspect you are purchasing status IMHO. My step dad was an incredible sax player, every bit as good as Randolph and Canon. He had a Selmer Alto and Tenor and in my opinion it served as a testimony of his skill. An accolade of his success. Casio’s are great watches that keep track of time perfectly, But for some the question is “why have a Casio if you can afford a Rolex”. Why have a Gucci purse when the Walmart one does the same job. The overpriced Selmer gave an instant impression of him before he even played the first note. He reaffirmed that image once the first note was produced. I suspect that he would have made my Jupiter 760 sound just as sweet – but he looked better with the Selmer.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.