Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips is it worth buying a Pro horn?

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

@ Martin That’s so cool you have SR Alto! 🙂 Owning the SR Tenor, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy SR Alto if I needed to buy another Alto. I bought the SR Tenor because it has a wider bore than the other Trevor James Saxophones. I wonder how that wide bore would work out on an Alto….that’s not a trait we would normally see in an Alto Sax. I would imagine it would really help to get some awesome projection 🙂 When you push the SR Tenor, you can hear this ‘zzzzz’ sound buzzing through the horn.

Martin Pavíček
      Participant

Yes, 1.5 years ago, I decided that I would finally buy my own sax (I had borrowed from school before). Trevor James is not very widespread in our country (Czech in middle Europe). Dealer has ordered and brought to the store (just for me) Horn 88 model – it has a cool “frosted gold” surface. I went to try it at the shop, and when I was there, I tried SR too. Although I only played for half a year at that time, I was able to recognize the difference. I said “I do not care what the look is – sound and tone are more important to me”, and I bought SR!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Trevor James is starting to become more popular here in the US, but there are still lots of players who’ve never heard of them. At the annual NAMM show that’s held in California each year, both Trevor James Saxophones and their US dealer have been at the show and gotten great feedback. They’ve conducted ‘blindfold’ tests where players tested a Trevor James Saxophone vs another model to see which Sax felt/sounded better to them. When the player takes the blindfold off, he’s shocked when he learned he picked the Trevor James model. If you go to the US Dealer’s facebook page, you’ll see they did the same kind of test–check out the results they got from the test 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/TrevorJamesSaxes/videos/251811245454743/

john
          Keymaster

ya good for you martin in choosing that one.
            they aren’t that widespread in N America either….yet. they are gaining a good reputation and from the TJ’s I’ve played they’re at the very top

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.