Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire “Memphis Soul Stew” by King Curtis live…they dont make music like this no more :(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I’ve been in a “funky” Saxophone playing mood, especially since Johnny came out with “Use Me” and I started learning it immediately LOL. I only wish they made music like “Memphis Soul Stew” these days….check out King Curtis playing it live here, one of the videos is live at Filmore where he did “Signed, Sealed and Delivered”. They don’t make music anymore like this these days! If someone doesn’t dig this stuff, then they just must not like the Saxophone…..but he’s also supported by an amazing band. Look how smooth these guys are!

http://youtu.be/0Loy55z4GpA

jake
      Participant

Boy he can scream out those high notes!!
        After hearing though, I really prefer the edginess of the metal mouthpieces. I probably couldn’t have said that a year ago. I think the ear if finally developing and I am able to hone in and find differences in the sounds now. It’s great to look back and enjoy the history/culture of the saxophone. Without theses legends, who knows where the sax would be today!!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Can’t imagine being able to look back on Saxophone history and not have these guys there! That would be painful to say the least LOL. Can you imagine if King Curtis were alive today? We all know what he did with his Saxophone but who knows what else he could have done? I know what you mean about being able to hone in the difference in sound, I’ve been finding myself doing the same thing…..see there; we are improving! Sometimes all’s we can see is how far we have to go to reach that level of playing we want to reach, but look at where we were even 6 months ago? We’re getting there and without Johnny’s help we would be able to get very far, no doubt about it.

If you think King Curtis can scream out those high notes in Memphis Soul Stew….then listen to this one. I’m hoping Johnny releases more of his music in the future; don’t know of ANYONE else who can capture the “essence” of King Curtis playing like Johnny can…..take a look at the Watermelon Man and that says it all.

http://youtu.be/rZGOf7zhR8I

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Sorry, I meant to say that without Johnny’s help we would NOT be able to get very far, left out the word “not”, typing error.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.