Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Metronome/Tuner

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kiziuk
    Participant

Hi, can anyone recommend a good metronome/tuner for an alto sax that I can hear over my playing?
      Tnx!
      Mark

jake
      Participant

For my tuner I use a free app on my Iphone called Pano Tuner. You can set it for multiple keys if you want. Seems pretty accurate and works well for me. As far as a metronome goes I use a free web based one on my PC. I have my PC connected to my sound system and it is louder than my sax. Of course there are other stand alone items as well but haven’t used them. By the way, how did you ever make out with getting your alto sax fixed??

Mark Kiziuk
        Participant

Hey Jake! Yeah I was browsing around e-bay for a good metronome/tuner and there are a lot to choice from, just don’t know yet which one to get. I got a bunch of metronome and tuner apps for my iPod touch, but I just spent a little over $400 for it about a month ago, and I really don’t want to lug it around in my case, if I practice my sax somewhere besides home. On the repairs, I’m kind of enjoying it! I like doing my own repairs. Keeps my mind and my hands busy, sort of like doing brakes or a tune up on the car. So far I fixed a post that the solder bond somehow gave way! Took me two hours through trial and error to get that post correctly resoldered. I wound up wiring the post to the sax body, applying flux, then heating the post with a small butane torch. Came out perfect! Didn’t even leave a mark! I also adjusted the lower finger pad, by cutting back on some of the bumper material until both of the finger pads were level! I also adjusted a spring on a different key so that it would close properly. My kangaroo pads should be here tomorrow so that I can start to repad. (I can’t wait!) and I have some cork and felt pieces coming in a day or two so that I can adjust some of the keys. So far it cost under $50 bucks. By the way I’m looking into getting a contoured bag. Any suggestions? Also, did you say your from NY, if so, which part? I live on Long Island, about 45 miles from Manhattan.
          Mark

Marc
          Participant

I’m kinda olf fashioned guy, so I prefer the traditional wind-up metronome, since I can not hear any smartphone app over my sax. Luckily some months ago I happened to find a vintage Yamaha (same as my horns), and I’m really happy with it… it click-clacks every day during my practice sessions.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mh4AAOSwxp9W9Omx/s-l1600.jpg

As for a tuner, I use this one, that purchased back in 2002, and still works fine. Since it’s for wind instruments, it has a transposing feature to set Eb, Bb or concert pitch.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FL4AAOSwu4BV3hx8/s-l1600.jpg

Mark Kiziuk
            Participant

I’m gonna have a look at those things on eBay Marc, thanks!

I have learned so much from this site with the help of all of you!
              niw I’m learning to say “TA”, I think it’s TA, into the mouthpiece, my brain is confused as all heck! So we blow into the saxophone and hold a key down we get a note, then we say the word TA and that stops the note?
              Mark

Marc
              Participant

Well, hey… more or less is that way. You must hold a proper embouchure (i.e. adjusting your lips around the mouthpiece, at the correct point, not too far in, nor out). Try to use the DA sylable instead of TA. It’s a very subtle change in tongue position, buit will help you a lot in gaining a good tone.

Mark Kiziuk
                Participant

Hey Marc!
                  I will give DA ago! Tnx!
                  Also Marc I saw a couple of tuners and one of the tuners had a metronome with a built in earphone jack. I just bought both of them. I bought a Kliq über tuner and a Korg TM-50 bought new from eBay. After I bought the Korg TM-50 I realized I should have gotten the Korg TMR-50 instead, because that model has a built in recorder. I kringed after I found out I should have gotten the one with the recorder instead!
                  Mark

Mel
                  Participant

I started using the Pano Tuner on my smartphone and I like it. I like to close my eyes and blow the note where I feel I am blowing a good tone and then open my eyes and see where it is reading on the tuner. Also great for blowing those long tones.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.