Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces NAMM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Have a blast at NAMM Johnny. These mpcs sound great. Look forward to further clips and info.
      Best…jak

jake
      Participant

Man wish I were closer! I’d go for sure! Have a great time!!!

Kenn
        Participant

For sure…It will be very interesting to hear what Johnny has to say about the new Guardala fiberrod MPs. Being as I just wasn’t ready to take the plunge for a metal Guardala on his last orders, I ended up getting a Wanne fiberrod MP. If only I knew Guardala was coming out with them in the Fat Boy as that was the one I was leaning towards if I had gone to metal. They shouldn’t be as pricey as metal but we’ll see.

Kenn

john
          Keymaster

they will be quite a bit less than the metal ones for sure but not sure about the pricing yet.

Kenn
            Participant

So Johnny…Did you have a great time? Did you get a chance to play the new MPs and if so, what did you think of them? Anything else new?

Thanks,
              Kenn

jak Swift
              Participant

Johnny hi man hope its all good. The fibrereeds sound great, and that’s something I never thought I’d say. ” its WOODWIND ” has always been my boring mantra. Anyhow, I digress. The alto mpc you are using on the TJ ? Pretty sure I saw Gerald Albright playing the same. If I’ve not been paying attention, my apologies… LOL !!
                What is it man ? I need a new alto mpc, and this sound concept is gnarly.
                Thanks, and have a. great day. Jak

jak Swift
                Participant

That’s totally in the wrong place !! Ho hum

john
                  Keymaster

the mp I played on the recent alto video is the new Fiber Carbon Studio Fatboy.
                    You could have seen someone using it as far back as end of 2016 but not much before that cause that’s when they came out.
                    The “Studio” design is Guardala’s and the “Fatboy design is Nadir’s. There has been a metal version of this for years but this is the new Fiber Carbon that I’ve been talking about and one of the main reasons I went to NAMM.
                    Nadir handed me an 8* and I loved it right away….and glad too cause he stood right there in front of me and I would have hated to give him bad news! these FC mp’s aren’t quite as bright as their metal counterparts and they play very easy… I would say easier than metal, especially for newer players who aren’t so used to them.
                    some alto players go for that smoother sound, like Paul Desmond or even the newer smooth jazz guys but not me. I like the louder and brighter rock and blues sound…listen to Edgar Winters studio recording of “Easy Street”…that’s what I like to sound like.

jak Swift
                    Participant

Johnny, thanks man, that’s a great answer and I appreciate you taking the time. Its a long tale that involves an accident I was in last year and waiting for compensation. I don’t have a tenor for the first time in many years. It will be rectified but not for a few months. I’m not over happy but I have the sweetest Martin alto that has to work for and with me right now. I really need to give the mpc some thought. I freakin love the Winter brothers, so again, many thanks and have a great day. Its all going to work out fine !! Best….jak

jak Swift
                      Participant

The Mindi Abair alto mpc was always an option; essentially for its sound. These FC Nadirs I think have the edge. Will keep you posted, but for now its alto only. I think its essential to be both grateful for what you have and to make it work. Any pointers as to funky alto players would be great. I’m with you on this Johnny. The Desmond sound \ style is beautiful, but not me. Its going to be an interesting few months. Of course I miss not having a tenorsax, but I can funk this alto up, no problem. Have a great day all. Best….jak

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.