Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Night Train MP3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ian McDermid
    Participant

Hi Johnny,

Do you have an MP3 version of Night Train. I have listened to the flash version on the how to play Night Train Page. I want to use my iPad rather than a PC when practicing (The iPad does not support flash) and run the MP3 through “Amazing Slow Downer” so I can pickup the notes in the 12 bar solo that you do.

Keep up the great work, you have many fans here in Oz.

Thanks.

Ian

Dazza
      Participant

Hey Ian, another Oz member. Great to hear. I’m in Brissy and a great fan and avid student of Johnny’s school and methods. My whole approach to the sax has changed since joining the site and only after 10 months of playing I am doing a three song set in front of 150 people every month at my work functions. Pretty cool. I have copied most of Johnny’s versions onto my iProducts by ripping the mp3 off the youtube url. Download VIDTOMP3 or something similar (there all free) and you can get the mp3 track and save in itunes. It’s a great way to get hundreds of cool sax tunes that you find on youtube that you just cant get anywhere. It has really opened up my listening range to artists I never before heard of. BTW – which town do you live in….??

Ian McDermid
        Participant

Hi Dazza,

I am also in Brisbane on the Mighty Northside at Eatons Hill. I have been playing around 2 years and play Duane Eddy stuff at the Brisbane Shadows Players. Unfortunately I cannot find Johnny’s version of Night Train on YouTube only his lesson which does not have the 12 bar solo in it.

Cheers,

Ian

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Hi Ian,
            The solo/song for Night Train is a song that is based off of the basic blues scale and, if you know how to Improvise with Blues Scales, transposing the solo for Night Train is actually pretty easy. It’s always a real plus if you can take the scale, improvise and create your own solo and that may be one of the reasons why Johnny didn’t cover the 12 bar solo. I looked at the Blues Scale that Night Train is based on, listened to King Curtis play his solo and was able to create my own solo that was very, very close to King Curtis’ version, plus some added little things of my own. I have virtually fallen in love with Improvisation now…I guess you can say I’m addicted to it and is very much becoming the main focal point of my playing now 🙂 But I don’t neglect learning other songs either.
            Have you bought Johnny’s ebook on “How to Play Killer Blues”? Johnny’s ebook is THE ticket on Improvisation and creating our own solos. The very first lesson that Johnny goes over in Killer Blues is all about Improvising with Blues Scales.

john
            Keymaster

@ Dazza, that’s great to hear about you doing a 3 song set for your co-workers. A steady stream of that will go a long way to improve your playing. There are some things we can’t get from a practice room.

@ Ian, the video is on Youtube and here’s 2 ways to locate it.
              1. in youtube search put in the song title followed by my name.
              2. go to the Night Train video page on my site in the saxophone music section and while playing the video click on the “Youtube” logo bottom right hand screen that says watch on youtube and it takes you there.

Now once you have the Youtube URL open this site up:
              http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Put the Youtube URL into the bar you see there. This software strips the audio from any Youtube video and gives you the mp3 of it.

Seems like a lot but once you do it it is fast and easy and you’ll be able to get any video’s audio as an mp3 onto your computer and from there to any device you want…very handy.

Dazza
              Participant

Ian, good to hear. Im at North Lakes only 15 minutes away. I’ll send a message to your inbox with some contact details. Would be great to catch up some time if possible and get some ideas from you as I head into my second year of playing as friends and acquaintances that play sax are as rare as politicians that tell the truth! You dont know a good teacher by chance??

Your are right Johnny. I played White Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock and Yesterday and threw in Over the Rainbow and although I could play all well at home the nerves, poor audio on the backing track for Yesterday and on the xmas songs I played with an organ accompaniment and fluffed a few lines and didnt play with confidence in parts so my tone might have been lacking. Most said it was great so perhaps they didnt pick up what I did. It puts a whole new perspective on playing when that many people are eye-balling you! Great fun though and a real high. Keep on practicing I hear you say and that’s guaranteed.

Ian McDermid
                Participant

I have just purchased how to play killer blues and will read it from cover to cover

Ian

Ian McDermid
                  Participant

@johnny thanks for the info on YouTube. Looks like I have found a fellow sax player close by as a bonus. @baboon thanks for the info on thee book I am reading it as we speak on my Kindle reader. @Dazza look forward to hearing from you, and yes I do know a very good teacher in Albany Creek.

john
                    Keymaster

Hey that’s very cool about you guys from Australia…small world.
                      Read the book of course but you must then start doing the exercises. As I say in there, you gotta take the action to really learn it and I’m sure you will!
                      Good luck and let us know how you go with it.

Ian McDermid
                      Participant

Hi Johnny,

I will start today. I guess I will have to learn the F# and B blues scales as my guitar mates insist on either E or A as their key Bb is not very popular with them. My first task is to work out a good solo for learning how to rock and roll.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.